Railroad Forums 

• Transportation of the UP Big Boys

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1057929  by Alek9997

We all know that the UP Big Boys were built by the American Locomotive Company. The American Locomotive Company's main manufacturing facility was located in Schenectady, NY.

What I can't seem to find information on is the transport of the Big Boys (Or any UP ALCO power) from Schenectady, NY to the UP.

My questions are...How were the locomotives transported from NY to the UP? In pieces on large Flatcars? Are there any photos of the transportation? What routing did they take? Where on the UP system were they delivered?

Any info is appreciated.

Alek S
 #1063385  by Engineer Spike

I would say that the Erie figured into the routing, with its wide clearancees. The D&H had Challangers, so a Big Boy would not be a large stretch.
The question would be the route between Chicago and Nebraska.
 #1063403  by scottychaos

Because of its length, the 4-8-8-4 was restricted to the line between Cheyenne (Wyoming) and Ogden (Utah)
Beginning with its inaugural deadheaded trip in September 1941 from Schenectady to Omaha (via NYC and C&NW), the mammoth 4000 was a magnet for local press coverage, inspiring some 520 newspaper articles in 45 states.
source: Book "Perfecting the American Steam Locomotive" by By J. Parker Lamb.
on-line at: http://tinyurl.com/7zzbfcg

Scot