Railroad Forums 

• Trainz 2006 performance

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#565106  by railfanandy

Hi all. I went into the electronic manual in Trainz 2006 and I read and changed almost everything in Trainzoptions.txt. What I did helped the game somewhat, but I still think I'm missing something in my game that will make it run really smooth? I have a 2.7 GHZ processor, a 512mb e-GeForce video card 7600 GS series, and 3 Gig of RAM. Does anyone know what I could be missing?
 #573226  by fw2008

Don't know if you've already solved your problem, but here are a few suggestions:

First, shut down all other programs that might be running in the background. You may need to shut down your anti-virus software. If you do so, you should also close your Internet connection to prevent possible virus infection while the AV is shut down.

Check your system for spyware/adware. Small programs running in the background that hog system resources.
Use a program like "Ad-Aware 2008", which is a free download from www.lavasoft.com to scan for spy/ad/malware.

Check HDD space. If you don't have at least 3Gigs available for your Windows Virtual Disk (Swap file), performance will slow down. You need to have at least as much as you have RAM in your system.

1) Try running TRS2006 in Open GL mode instead of DirectX.
2) If you do want to run in DirectX mode, make sure you have the latest drivers.
3) Make sure your display drivers are up-to-date
4) On Tuning Settings tab try reducing the Ground, Scenery, Detail Maxiumms, and Effects to a lower level. Having everything turned up high with a complex route will result in slower performance.
5) On the Advanced Options tab: Increase Resource Cache Size for Texturing
6) Disable Hardware TL and Shadows
7) On the Display settings tab: Select a lower display resolution. If you have a verh large or HD monitor, this will slow down performance.

Hope this helps

FW