Railroad Forums 

• Trains on the UP North Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#443912  by Conrail8124

I just moved from NYC to Chicago about a week ago. I live about 2 blocks from the Metra Ravenswood stop on the UP North Line. Although the Metra trains are cool, do any UP trains run through there? If so, what time. What other good locations are there to check out? I went to Homewood last week & it was so-so.

Thanks

Chris

#444191  by doepack

Traffic on the UP North line (aka the Kenosha sub) is 99.9% Metra commuter trains. Freight traffic is minimal to begin with, and all of it runs north of Lake Bluff; other than the occasional ballast/MOW runs, there are no regular scheduled freights south of Lake Bluff on this line. For more variety (and a whole lot more freight trains), try LaGrange on BNSF, or Elmhurst on UP/W, both of which are accessible via Metra...
 #445820  by Blutorse4792

Hop onto the train, and take it to Waukegan. Not the best neighborhood, but great for trains. There's a large UP Yard usually full of engines, a few Metra trains on the line, the terminus of the EJ&E (Usually one engine for the local trains is sitting there) which will periodically switch with the concrete boats in the harbor, and a ways down the road, there's a powerplant with some EMD switchers.

#446445  by Conrail8124

Cool - I will have to try that when I get some time. IS the hood safe to be hangin around in? How far is the yard from the station?

#446692  by Blutorse4792

Conrail8124 wrote:Cool - I will have to try that when I get some time. IS the hood safe to be hangin around in? How far is the yard from the station?
The station is in the middle of the yard. You should be okay as long as you stay in the yard b/c the Yacht Club is also right there. You should be fine as long as you don't wander into the city.