Railroad Forums 

• Trainmasters

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#174508  by bigrig

What kind of people are trainmasters? what dose their job ential? and how do you become a trainmaster? What are your opinions of trainmaster?

#174555  by GOLDEN-ARM

I tried to reply, but the "auto-censorship" feature keeps deleting the words I was trying to use, to describe them!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

#174563  by thebigc

^^^

'Nuff said.

#174579  by blippo

I don't know about other areas but the trainmasters here came from the ranks of conductor and engineer. They are responsibile mainly for the Local freight jobs in their territory. Since I worked with them when they were conductor and engineer, I get along with them.

#174599  by LCJ

Just as with any group of people, trainmasters cannot be described in total without making allowances for the fact that they are all individuals with individual characteristics. Having belonged to that subset of railroad employees for a time, and having been acquainted with many trainmasters in my years of railroading, limits my ability to say they are all of one stripe or another.

I've known some who were dumb as posts, and some who could manage circles around me. Some could relate well to people -- taking care of customers, getting the work done by supporting the people who did the work every day. Some, sadly, could not. Some I was proud to be associated with, others no so much.

Just as with engineers, some are fast, and some are half-fast.

#174642  by rail

Never Mind!!!!!!

#174679  by rhallanger

I think the UP calls Trainmasters by the title "M.T.O." now (Manager, Terminal Operations) and the Yardmasters, "M.Y.O." (Manager, Yard Operations).

I don't know much about their jobs except that the M.T.O. I met with came up from the ranks of conductor and then transferred into Mgmt.