Railroad Forums 

• Train Horn Signals - off NJ topic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#192294  by CGRLCDR

Last weekend I stayed in the Terrance Hotel in Lakeland, FL, which is one block from the CSX track and the new AMTRAX station. Of course, I like trains and at first I thought it was cool staying in a hotel near the railroad. However, as it turns out that line is like the Rt 80 of railroads and as each train passed through (about every 20 - 40 minutes it seemed) they blasted their horn all the way through town as they hit every crossing.

Probably I'm the only one here that didn't know this, but the FRA has standardized signals that must be used throughout the country except in "quite zones". The list is on this web site.....

http://www.northwestrailfan.com/Horn.htm

If I happened to live near that line I might have a problem with all the noise.

#192366  by sullivan1985

Well my best guess is that if you have a train in a very populated compressed area with multiple grade crossing in close proximity, 2 longs 1 short and 1 long doesn't always have to be sounded, as long as they give a horn before hitting each crossing.

I noticed today on a train I was riding on the NJT North Jersey Coast Line between Long Branch and Bay Head that the crossings are very close to one another and I hardly ever heard the long long short long patter happen. The engineer just sounded the horn as much as he could for each crossing.

#192382  by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:Well my best guess is that if you have a train in a very populated compressed area with multiple grade crossing in close proximity, 2 longs 1 short and 1 long doesn't always have to be sounded, as long as they give a horn before hitting each crossing.

I noticed today on a train I was riding on the NJT North Jersey Coast Line between Long Branch and Bay Head that the crossings are very close to one another and I hardly ever heard the long long short long patter happen. The engineer just sounded the horn as much as he could for each crossing.
Yeah, I've heard certain engineers on the ACL do this too when passing through Hammonton. :-D

#192542  by Ken W2KB

Often the same with the multiple crossings on the RVL in Bound Brook/Bridgewater when an express not stopping at the station is operating at track speed.

#192610  by TR-00

Geez, Nick, I don't know why an engineer would sound less than the proper horn signals, especially in Hammonton.

I always make it a point to sound the required number of blasts, especially on my pass through at 2:00am. Revenge for the leaf blowers. :P

#192624  by Jtgshu

With a HUGE, evil smile on your face, Bob!!!!!!!!

#192687  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:With a HUGE, evil smile on your face, Bob!!!!!!!!
And I'm sure one could hear a few outcries of evil laughter emanating from the cab..... oh wait, you wouldn't be able to. :-D

#192699  by Jtgshu

yea,............. yea you could