Railroad Forums 

• Train Chasing on the Western Route (Freight Main Line)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1050949  by B&Mguy

A few weeks ago I was in Wells, and stopped by the transportation center to photograph the northbound Downeaster. As it approached, I could see a freight train coming from the north, that was moving at a moderate pace. Once both trains cleared the station, I got in my car, hoping to catch the freight train at North Berwick. When I got there however, I couldn't see any sign of it, and I figured I was ahead of it. I then drove to Dover, and to my surprise saw the very end of it heading out of town. I then took route 108 south, and bypassed Durham, drove through Newmarket and Newfields, and finally saw it down below at Rockingham Junction waiting for a Southbound Downeaster to get ahead of it. I drove to Exeter and waited for it there, the whole time being amazing at how fast freights can travel on this section of the line.

Does anyone routinely chase freights on this line, and have any ideas as to how best catch trains in the most places?
 #1050961  by roberttosh

With the higher track speeds, it certainly isn't as easy as it used to be. Wells seems to be a pretty common place for meets and whenever you see a freight out on the road, by looking at the DE schedule, you can get a pretty good idea of where they are going to have to make a meet. From what I've seen lately, POED often heads out of Rigby just after northbound DE's 681/691 clear the single track at CPF 203. SEPO comes into Rigby usually late afternoon/early evening. I think most of the other freights run at night. Hope that helps.
 #1051009  by deeptrax

I'm in Kennebunk and I've noticed that the SEPO usually meets up with the 686 or 696 in Dover, Berwick, or Wells. If SEPO comes through about 15 minutes after the DE, it was Wells. 30-40 minutes: Berwick. 1 hour: Dover. I actually caught a Sunday SEPO at Willie Hill Rd in Wells and it was moving about 5 mph. It eventually stopped for around 30 seconds. This past Thursday, actually, there was a southbound freight at around 1430 and the northbound was at 1615. I'm guessing it went something like this: The POED stopped in Berwick or Wells to let 686 pass, and SEPO stopped in Dover to do the same. POED stayed in Berwick or Wells (or, a slim chance, went on to Berwick after Wells) to let SEPO pass.
 #1051023  by pnolette

Actually,Berwicks siding was closed in 2000 when the new Wells siding was put in.So trains can only meet at Wells or Dover.
 #1051255  by jbvb

Back in the B&M days, with similar freight speed limits, my experience was that if I saw something leaving Portland, if I photographed it at North Berwick then my next chance was Haverhill (I95 -> I495). From Wells, Dover is possible,, Durham or Exeter more likely. NH 108 is not fast enough, anywhere on its length, to catch up to a 40 MPH freight with no setouts, pickups or meets. Neither is NH 125 now that it's grown all those traffic lights.
 #1051260  by MEC407

Even in the 25 MPH pre-Downeaster days, I didn't have a lot of leeway if I wanted to follow a westbound from Wells to Dover. Fortunately there were usually at least a couple of 10 MPH speedos along the way, which made the chase easier. I also remember following some 90- to 100-car POEDs that were underpowered and could barely make 25 MPH even in notch 8. That made the chase easier AND more exciting!
 #1051327  by MEC407

Yes.
 #1053645  by jbvb

I wasn't suggesting following a 40 MPH freight on ME 9 from Wells through the Berwicks. But if you high-tailed it down I-95 to Portsmouth and up NH 16 to Dover, you might catch it at the overpass west of the Arch. Durham was I-95 to NH 16 to NH 4, Exeter was I-95 to NH 101.
 #1053662  by MEC407

This time of year that becomes a bit risky with the traffic backups on 95 between the York toll and the Piscataqua River Bridge.

Google Maps even agrees that it would take longer to get from Wells to Dover via 95 than it takes via 9, and that's assuming no traffic backups on 95.

I think I'll just stick with my fond memories of the bad ol' days of Guilford. :wink:
 #1053689  by deeptrax

SEPO outlawed in Wells at 1915 yesterday. I managed to see it pull up in the siding and stop, and then it was on the move at 2040. Judging by the similarities between the time of yesterday's and today's SEPO passing the Shawsheen cam, I'm guessing it will do the same tonight.