Railroad Forums 

• Tractor Trailer companies

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#341995  by dhaugh

First off, does anyone knwo where the big semi cabs are made - White, Freightline, Kenworth etc...? And, secondly, are these plants big like your typical auto plant? And, finally, does anyone know if they are rail served - either in bringing in parts, or sending out finished cabs?

#342149  by RS112556

Kenworth and Peterbilt are manufactured by Paccar in Chillicothe, OH. International trucks are products of Navistar in Warrenville, IL. while Freightliner trucks made in North American are from plants located in Portland, OR, Mount Holley, NC; Cleveland, NC by Daimler/Chrysler. White trucks became Volvo and are manufactured in Greensboro, NC. All are pretty fair sized facilities as you can imagine.

#342231  by Lirr168

Guys, I don't mean to be a stickler, but thisis kinda pushing the envelope with non-railroad topics. Let's try to keep on target.

Since we're on the subject, let me ask this: do these semi cabs get shipped via rail like passenger cars do? I imagine those would have to be pretty big autoracks to carry those things!

#342361  by Rockin' Roller

I haven't seen any on rail cars. You always see them going down the highway with two or three of them stacked together.

#342707  by wis bang

When MACK opened the Macungie, PA plant they used to flatcar chassis and cabs on flatcars from the old Allentown plants out to Macungie. The chassis rails w/ main cross members installed were stacked on racks. The bare cabs were shipped 4 - 5 to the flatcar...This went on for a few years while the older plants were shut down a little at a time.

#342783  by JoeG

We know that freight in trailers is often shipped by train. Anyone ever hear of new trailers being shipped from the factory to a trucking company, by train?

#342887  by wis bang

JoeG wrote:We know that freight in trailers is often shipped by train. Anyone ever hear of new trailers being shipped from the factory to a trucking company, by train?
They usually pay someone to truck them...one company, Trailer Transit does only that. relocate traielrs.

#342909  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Do they ever ship empties via rail to an area needing empties?

#343418  by wis bang

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Do they ever ship empties via rail to an area needing empties?
Motor carriers don't move equipment, the just go to XTRA or Flezi-Van and lease some...

The J B Hunt containers going longhaul on the COFC were concieved and are used for dedicated service that makes the special stuff worthwile.