Railroad Forums 

• Trackwork east and west of Woodside for the past several weeks.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1542601  by RestrictOnTheHanger

I tweeted at them the same question, the response i got was multiple projects, such as concrete tie replacement and signal testing.

It seems they are taking advantage of lower ridership and a weekend schedule to squeeze in more work. I myself have heard the work going on at various points in the day, including 6pm, 4am, 11pm. Etc
 #1542867  by AlKaLI

I'm still commuting to the city for work by the LIRR. For the past couple of weeks, the MofW forces have been out in force on the Port Washington eastbound main. It first started with a slew of trucks and LORAM equipment. Then came a train of concrete ties. New welded rail had been lain next to the running rails. I think it was Wednesday when I noticed on my trip home, that the wooden ties had been removed and new welded rail set in place. The new track starts just east of the crossover at Woodside. This morning, the track look leveled awaiting the installation of ballast. Track from the crossover to under the NY Connecting bridge (overhead freight line) was in place. Couldn't see beyond that point.
 #1543149  by wintower

RestrictOnTheHanger wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 am I tweeted at them the same question, the response i got was multiple projects, such as concrete tie replacement and signal testing.

It seems they are taking advantage of lower ridership and a weekend schedule to squeeze in more work. I myself have heard the work going on at various points in the day, including 6pm, 4am, 11pm. Etc
Thanks for your reply. Its been relatively quiet over there the last few days.
 #1543414  by AlKaLI

Work continues on the Port Washington Branch. Yesterday at around 5:00 PM and this morning at 7 AM, there was a concrete tie train on Eastbound Main west of Woodside. MP15's 172 and 165, about a dozen flats loaded with concrete ties and a track construction machine started laying ties east of the flyover heading toward Woodside station yesterday afternoon. They were back this morning. It looked like concrete ties were installed on the main through Woodside. I'll check again.

One item not installed yet on the new track is the third rail! The new track looks "clean" and even but is noticeably missing the 3rd rail.
Good to see that the LIRR is taking advantage of the Essential Schedule and replacing track.
AlKaLI
 #1543440  by RestrictOnTheHanger

There were workers out on the track today and even a few minutes ago heard a work train going by my apartment. There is definitely still activity going on. The regular passenger trains have been sounding the horn in my area almost 24/7 the past month, not that I mind.
 #1545938  by RestrictOnTheHanger

The trackwork will be returning in the summer and have formalized timetable impacts, presumably on track 1 this time

I wonder why midday service is cut though, the outage usually doesnt require a headway reduction

Page 59
https://new.mta.info/document/17901
One of two main tracks will be out of service around the clock between Woodside and Mets Willets Point for installation of concrete ties and replacement of rail. Installing the new concrete ties on the Port Washington Branch will offer greater reliability versus traditional wooden ties, and a longer lifespan, thus reducing the need for future outages.

With one of two main tracks out of service, schedule adjustments will occur on both weekdays and weekends. On weekdays, during the AM Peak period, two trains on the Port Washington Branch will be cancelled, and one train on the Babylon Branch will be cancelled. During the PM Peak period, one Port
Washington Branch train will be cancelled and combined with another, and one Hempstead train will be diverted to Atlantic Terminal. In addition, two reverse PM peak trains, and one train just prior to the PM peak will also be cancelled. To support this outage, off peak Port Washington Branch service will be reduced to hourly during the midday, weekday period. On weekends, service will be reduced during the overnight period.