Railroad Forums 

• Track work on the B&A

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#327799  by boatsmate

I saw this week on my way to work on the Mass Pike, new ties lining the ROW on the track 2 side in WestBorough, then this moring I saw fresh stone layed in the tracks. looks like major track work going on in this strech

#327821  by CSX Conductor

There's been a work train on the east end of the B&A for the past few weeks. :wink:

#328381  by CN9634

MBTA trains were delayed today at Southborough due to trackwork. The trains were operating on only Track 1. I saw 1 inbound MBTA train, and an outbound CSX Manifest.

#328483  by theinsider

Worcester Line
CSX Track Work
Monday, November 20, 2006

CSX has informed us that commencing on Monday, November 20 and continuing through mid-December CSX track crews will be replacing ties on the Framingham/Worcester Line between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM daily Sundays through Wednesdays.

Trains operating on the Framingham/Worcester Line during the stated times may experience delays of up to 30 minutes because of this work.

Train crews and information agents have been reminded of the importance of providing updated service information to rail customers.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this activity. Thank you for your continued support of Commuter Rail.

#330950  by boatsmate

Noted this morning on my way in that there are new ties along the right of way from Newton to beacon park. also saw all the track equipment in westboro yard.

#332943  by Robert Paniagua

I wonder if this CSX trackwork is also affecting Amtrak's 448/449. Based on Amtrak's updates, I haven't seen any delay advisory on the Boston Section Lake Shore Ltd. At least CSX is doing to get this track a bit improved.

#333330  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

on the MBTA website, it says that they are busing between Wessley Farms and Framingham, so i take both tracks are out of service (OOS) and my question is are Beacon Park CSX freights still being allowed to travel through the work area?

#333395  by theinsider

Robert Paniagua wrote:I wonder if this CSX trackwork is also affecting Amtrak's 448/449. Based on Amtrak's updates, I haven't seen any delay advisory on the Boston Section Lake Shore Ltd. At least CSX is doing to get this track a bit improved.
It is probably affecting 449 more as the work are is usually only in effect during the day, from about 730a to 530p or so. By the time 448 gets in the area they are done for the day. Over all the delay is probably not that bad considering the other delays it can face on CSX.

#344165  by dbperry

And they didn't repair whatever is causing the speed restriction at CP 11 in Wellesley / Weston! Uggh! Every day my train slows down and I'm woken up by the slow down! How inconsiderate.

But really...why didn't they repair this if MOW was in the neighborhood?

#344679  by johnpbarlow

As I drove down the Pike yesterday (1/6/07) through Auburndale, W Newton, etc, I saw there are still a lot of new ties lying next to track 1 so I'm guessing the CSX track gang's work is not yet done in the CP-11 vicinity.

#345367  by CSX Conductor

dbperry wrote:Every day my train slows down and I'm woken up by the slow down! How inconsiderate.
If you are jerked around too much complain to your engineer as it is his/her train-handling that awakes you, not the speed restriction. :wink:

Generally whenever work is done on a section of track whether it is replacing ties or rails the speed restriction is applied to it until a certain amount of tonnage is run over it, but not in CSXT's case. The MBCR & Amtrak track gangs lift most speed restrictions the next day........and we have more tonnage going over ours than they do, so I am still baffled. :(

#347017  by wildbill

The system gangs on csx run on tight schedules. An example would be if they are to work an area for one week and only get track time for two days the rest of the work usually won't get done. The T-6 tie gang left boston in dec to shut down for a few weeks to do maintence and start backup in georgia I believe. There is a mini tie gang that is going to try and finsh the ties this winter, weather permiting. It is a tough line to do maintence on. Almost as bad as the riverline.

#348673  by johnpbarlow

MBTA electronic sign at Worcester advised that starting 1/16, commuter trains may be delayed 30 minutes as CSX starts performing track work (tie replacement on both tracks east of Framingham?).

#440774  by roberttosh

Anyone know how far east the tie gang has got on the B&A? I see there are still piles of new ties sitting along the RoW along the Pike in Newton. Any info would be apprecaited, thanks!

Chris