Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#539179  by trainjunkies

Does anyone know how I could get into the NYC Transit Track Safety? My job sometimes requires me to be around the tracks and platforms, and I thought that it would be a good idea to take the class.

#539184  by RearOfSignal

If your job requires you to be on or about the tracks your employer should provide the program for you.

#539954  by trainjunkies

I'm trying to gather the information for my boss, who is not as MTA savy as I would like.

#539961  by RearOfSignal

If you work for an outside contractor the TA should provide all that you need to work safely. It doesn't sound like you're working on the tracks themselves. What is it that you do?

#539963  by devbeep2

sounds like someone just wants a free tour of the central park tunnel...

#540411  by trainjunkies

I work for the Screen Actors Guild as an on site union rep. This sometimes requires me to go to unusual places where movies are shooting. We have about 5 to 6 movies come into town a year that use the subway as a back drop.

And no, devbeep2, I don't really want to go down into the tunnels or tracks. My experiences with the remake of "The Taking of Pelham 123" have had me weezing and blowing soot out of my nose, despite my use of a particle mask.

#540412  by trainjunkies

I work for an actors' union as an on site rep. This sometimes requires me to go to unusual places where movies are shooting. We have about 5 to 6 movies come into town a year that use the subway as a back drop.

And no, devbeep2, I don't really want to go down into the tunnels or tracks. My experiences with the remake of "The Taking of Pelham 123" have had me weezing and blowing soot out of my nose, despite my use of a particle mask. I just want to be safe while I'm there.

My boss would like to put me through the program, but we are having trouble contacting the right dept at the MTA.

#540432  by nmazura

here is a safety tip: DON'T GO ON THE TRACKS

#540484  by RearOfSignal

It sounds as if your job doesn't require you to be on active tracks. If your shooting movies the tracks will be closed if they you are shooting on them. If your just on the platform of active tracks than there will be someone from the TA supervising the activities. The Track Safety program is for employees who work on the tracks and any contractors that do so as well. The TA won't let just anyone go on to active tracks, it would be an accident waiting to happen, and a lawsuit.

#540570  by TacSupport1

You guys are ridiculous.

All this guy is looking for is a contact at MTA, THEY can decide whether the class is appropriate for him or not.

If he's working on the tracks, active or not, his desire to educate himself about the potential hazards isn't a bad thing.

If, god forbid, him or one of his fellow union members were to get hurt, you guys would be on here bashing them for not knowing what they are doing.

#540586  by RearOfSignal

TacSupport1 wrote:You guys are ridiculous.

All this guy is looking for is a contact at MTA, THEY can decide whether the class is appropriate for him or not.

If he's working on the tracks, active or not, his desire to educate himself about the potential hazards isn't a bad thing.

If, god forbid, him or one of his fellow union members were to get hurt, you guys would be on here bashing them for not knowing what they are doing.
Duh, exactly the point. They -the MTA -already has, do you think the MTA is going to let just any ol' Joe work on the ROW without supervision? If his job required him to be in harms way the MTA would provide the necessary protection. Do you think the MTA doesn't know who is working or filming on the property and it's their responsibility to notify the TA of what they're doing and if it's safe? Any work done by non-MTA personnel on the property has to be approved in advance, part of that approval is safety training and protection.

He doesn't have to worry about contacting the MTA, before any film crew ever set foot on the property they would contact his employer.

#540593  by TacSupport1

He says he works around the railroad....he INQUIRED about taking a class.

Give him the info if you have it, and don't persecute him. Let the MTA decide whether the class is appropriate for him. A lot of SAG people work sporadically, and could be assigned to a shoot in a subway with less then an hour's notice. Maybe the uppity-ups have gotten the training, but sometimes it doesn't trickle to the guy who just got the call to go work.

For the record, I'm a Paramedic and have worked a call where a person involved in a film shoot was seriously injured....the safety people were there, but this person had no information provided to him that could have prevented the injury.

#540607  by RearOfSignal

TacSupport1 wrote:He says he works around the railroad....he INQUIRED about taking a class.... Let the MTA decide whether the class is appropriate for him.
This isn't a defensive driving course or first aid class we're talking about, you don't sign up and get a certificate. It is a required course for those whose duties require them to work on the tracks. It's more than just 'stay off the tracks' or 'don't step on the third rail.' There are rules and protocols that are taught to be followed. Instead of training every single person who spends a few days a year on the property, the MTA takes some of the hazards away and provides extra protection, ie. suspends service, shuts down third rail, trained TA personnel on the scene supervising.

Trainjunkies, I would suggest that you speak to a member of the technical or film crew instead of the Actor's Union as to who your MTA contact is for the work site. More than likely that person is on the work site for the duration of the activity.

#540642  by TacSupport1

I think there's a misunderstanding....I think I'm talking about a general track safety class for non-railroad personel who have to work by the tracks, and you're talking about the hardcore, railroad personel class.

#541467  by jlr3266

TacSupport1 wrote:I think there's a misunderstanding....I think I'm talking about a general track safety class for non-railroad personel who have to work by the tracks, and you're talking about the hardcore, railroad personel class.
There is only one class. NYCT employee or third party.