Railroad Forums 

• Track conditions at East Portal

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#217271  by SP 4449

Last week I visited the Hoosac Tunnel's East Portal and unfortunately didn't see any trains. However this brings up a question, how are the track conditions in that area now with the new welded rail? Back in late 2001 I saw a train come out of the east portal of the tunnel and was amazed at how all that rocking and rolling didn't cause a derailment. Are the track conditions at East Portal any better?

#220343  by uugh

On the east side they are much better.

Interestingly enough 3 or 4 months ago I saw a few trains flying up through Zoar, 35 MPH near the gap curve. Unbelievable!

They still slow town inside the tunnel, 10 or 15 mph restriction. I dont know if they have lifted the restriction yet or not as I havent been up there for a while.
 #240878  by monicanaaron

I am not sure if this list is still active . But I will post anyway.. I have been out to the hoosac tunnel a few times .. Latest time was yesterday..4/27/06 .. it was cool. We saw a few trains the speed restriction has been lifted since they have redone the track in the tunnel... It is a crap shoot as far as the trains.. we have been and seen lots of trains then we go and see none... We go for the RAILFAN cookouts more less ... We do love trains and the trains out there are awesome...and with this new PAN RAILWAYS name change we will see NEW engines too...

#240889  by CN9634

newly painted engines. Same old engines new coat of blah. So perhaps its time for Guilford to upgrade other parts of the system (Cough D-1 Cough) haha like that will ever happen :-D