Railroad Forums 

• Tracing Ridgefield and New York Railroad Remnants

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1473955  by Ridgefielder

The ROW is also quite clearly visible where it crosses CT 35 in Ridgefield. It's on the side of the hill on your right if you're heading east toward Ridgefield Center, just after you cross the Mill River. It gets lost in the woods a bit on the other side of 35 but then reappears as the driveway for the house at 117 Golf Lane. It pretty much vanishes under later construction after that-- I've never been able to precisely figure out where it crossed Peaceable Street, and anything north of Peaceable was obliterated by the construction of the Westmoreland subdivision in the 1960's & '70's.

When I was a kid in the '80's I was told by some old-timers that the line was finally killed in the 1890's by the personal order of J. Pierpont Morgan himself. The line would have cut very close to, if not across, some land owned by Morgan, and he wanted to keep both the land and Ridgefield undisturbed.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Morgan did own land in the area: he built a house on it (now Le Chateau restaurant) and gave it all to his friend Rev. William Stephen Rainsford, the rector of St. George's Episcopal Church in Manhattan. Seems like the New Haven would have had plenty of other reasons not to need a duplicate route between Danbury and the shore line, though.