Railroad Forums 

• Towers

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#745  by MR77100

I am searching for the closing and demolition dates of the following towers, if they ever existed:
-St. Anne
-St. Elmo
-Dean Tower(Bloomington)
-Jacksonville
-Shattuc (still standing in 2001)
-Sandavol
-Ramsey
-Vandalia
-Marshall
-Robinson
-Charleston
-Litchfield
-Pana
-Starnes (Springfield)
-Glover

#1596  by bones

Starnes was closed in early 1982. If you go to my website www.angelfire.com/ns2/bones and go to the N&W page, then the SD40-2 section you'll see a picture taken from the tower in Aug 1981.

#1834  by MR77100

Thanks for the cool link. Do you know when the tower was demolished? Here are some more:
-Centralia
-Odin
-Midland City
-Kenny
-Taylorville
-Otto(south of Kankakee, still standing)
-Sorento
-Altamont
-Danville
-Hustle
-Mackinaw

#2037  by bones

I'm not sure when Starnes was knocked down, but I do know it was down by the end of the 80's for sure.
 #3470  by MR77100

Here are some more:
-Dekalb
-LeClaire
-La Salle
-Ottawa
-Streator
-Toluca
-El Paso
-Mendota
-Freeport
-Salem
-Troy Jt.
-Decatur (still standing)
-Clinton
-Mt. Pulaski
-Mansfield
-Farmer City

#6785  by bones

Medota was in the late 70's.

#7037  by MR77100

Here are some more:
-Smithboro
-Chenoa
-Chatsworth
-Peoria
-Rossville
-Olney
-Flora
-Edgewood
-Mt. Vernon
-Humrick
-Webster
-Hoopston
-Edwardsville
 #28539  by HoosierSubFan

I can help on Vandalia Twr. It is still standing and serves as the offices for the Vandalia railroad. They operate from a CSX St. Louis line connection adjacent to the tower north about 2 miles to serve some industries.

When it was removed from interlocking service, I do not know. Sometime in the early '80's I do believe.

HoosierSubFan

#28732  by MR77100

I'm sure Vandalia was closed around September/October, 1981 because that was when the IC Charter Line was abandoned.
 #69735  by Dean Tower

You can ignore this post. This brief text simply covers a mistake I made and now can't get the post off the net. Sorry.
Last edited by Dean Tower on Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #69736  by Dean Tower

There never was a tower at Mackinaw that I recall. Or Chatsworth or El Paso. The agents and operators in the depots handled the junction function. [/b]

#90079  by MR77100

What about Lincoln?