Railroad Forums 

• Tower Identity (PQ)

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#437651  by OCtrainguy

When I rode the Rail Tours train out of Jim Thorpe in September 2004, I photographed this old tower as we left Jim Thorpe. I remember the conductor talking about the tower, but forgot what it was called.

http://octrainguy.com/JimThorpetower.jpg

Any information on this tower would be appreciated!

#437671  by metman499

PQ tower, which contolled the junction between the main line and the Nequehoning Valley branch.

#437899  by OCtrainguy

Thanks for the information. The name does sound familiar.
 #450964  by 2nd trick op

Here's a repeat of a post on PQ submitted just about three years ago:

I visited PQ on a number of occasions as a teenager in the mid 1960's. It saw about 12 moves per day (4 through freights in each direction, 1 local on the Nesquehoning Branch, and an as-needed ore run from Bethlehem to a mine on the D&H at North Creek, New York). Switching moves at the west end of Jim Thorpe yard also required occasional participation by the operator at PQ.

The feature I most remember about PQ was its all-semaphore signals, with 5 or 6 mounted on a bridge on the east approach to the plant, If I remember correctly, one on the bridge, as well as the home signal for the branch, were of the three-blade variety, with the lowest of the three (used to display a diverging route) somewhat smaller in size.

Although the employees' timetables listed the interlockings between PQ and Ashley as controlled from PQ, that description applied only to the relays on the first floor of the tower; the control panel was in the Dispatchers' Office at Allentown. The interlocking machine at PQ was a GRS machine with over-and-under pistol-grip levers. The board was simply a printed diagram, not illuminated.

When I first discovered PQ in the spring of 1963 or '64, the Jersey Central was already in rough shape, operating on a mix of first-generation power. A handful of GP40's financed by parents B&O and Reading didn't arrive until 1966. The shared-track arrangement with Lehigh Valley evolved over the same time span.

I was seldom to visit PQ after 1966, having moved on to other, busier lines, but I did pass through on two steam excursions in 1967 and '68, and stopped in for a last visit in March of 1972 when CNJ cut operations back to Phillipsburg. Later that same day I caught the "funeral train" at STEEL tower in Bethlehem.