Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1344369  by Noel Weaver

It is very unfortunate that the State of Connecticut saw fit to spend a lot of money on a busway that covers New Britain - Hartford and is of very limited if any value in cutting down congestion. I guess the lobbyists get their way every time at the expense of the residents and property owners. I am not really and positively convinced that any rail projects around Hartford except for improved service on the Springfield Line are worthwhile at this point. What is really needed in Connecticut is for them to put their transportation dollars in the New Haven Line between New Haven and the New York State Line.
Noel Weaver
 #1344407  by Ridgefielder

Noel Weaver wrote:What is really needed in Connecticut is for them to put their transportation dollars in the New Haven Line between New Haven and the New York State Line.
Noel Weaver
Thing is though, Noel, it's politics. If CDOT wants increased funding for where it really matters they at least have make gestures toward giving something to Hartford, Waterbury etc.: otherwise they're not going to get the votes in the General Assembly. That's the reality of a railroad that's funded by the State of Connecticut rather than the capital markets.
 #1344411  by NH2060

Noel Weaver wrote:It is very unfortunate that the State of Connecticut saw fit to spend a lot of money on a busway that covers New Britain - Hartford and is of very limited if any value in cutting down congestion. I guess the lobbyists get their way every time at the expense of the residents and property owners. I am not really and positively convinced that any rail projects around Hartford except for improved service on the Springfield Line are worthwhile at this point. What is really needed in Connecticut is for them to put their transportation dollars in the New Haven Line between New Haven and the New York State Line.
Noel Weaver
As a former CT resident I completely agree. That "two lane bus road" was a complete misuse of precious tax dollars. Funds that probably shouldn't have even been considered for Waterbury-Hartford rail service (though I would love to see it happen just the same), but for replacing those aging drawbridges.

However, I think one of the big reasons the busway wasn't axed was because there was $275M (?) in Federal funding at stake and if CT backed out on the project not only would the money need to be returned to the Fed. Gov't, BUT the chances of CT receiving ANY Federal transportation dollars for future projects would be greatly reduced. So by that time nobody really had a choice but to go ahead with it. And even though -from what I understand- Amtrak told CDOT that the busway ROW might be needed in the future for a 3rd track. And on top of that if the ROW is to be realigned with I-84 in a trench SW Corridor-style then that too would have to be torn down and removed. This was just too hot a potato to mess around with.

As for a Torrington extension I am one of those people who do believe that it at least has a shot down the line, in spite of the latest news of people moving out of the area. OTOH isn't the state of CT overall slowly getting smaller in population? I have a feeling quite a few folks must simply feel bored living there even though most of the state has some beautiful countryside, a scenic shoreline, a tolerable climate, etc.

Now what might perhaps help towns like Torrington bounce back -and therefore make a case for commuter rail north of WTBY to the "Upper Naugy"- is the rising cost of real estate in lower Fairfield and lower New Haven counties. The Route 8 corridor has already been seeing it's housing market go up thanks to more reasonable housing prices/rents, etc. with convenient enough access to again Rte. 8 and the Waterbury Branch. Branch ridership has been growing at quite a good rate over the last few years so perhaps there's some correlation? I know F-line has pointed out at least once or twice that in Bristol the housing market hit the skids 15-20 years ago so there was nowhere to go but up and has held up quite well in spite of the recession. So as even already relatively pricey towns in Fairfield County become more expensive areas such as the Naugatuck Valley are only going to be more enticing to home buyers. And with the Waterbury Branch getting improvements to add more frequencies it could look even more attractive if service levels top even what the Danbury Branch now has. Yes people may be leaving CT, but those living closer to NYC looking for a quieter place to live with reasonable costs of living + rail access to the city just might be heading in the same direction in decent numbers. Just wait and see what could happen in 10-20 years. Same for areas served by Shore Line East and the Hartford Line.
 #1344657  by Jeff Smith

Found this interesting thread reminiscing on Torrington freight activity during PC. Not relevant to potential passenger service. There's also some discussion if you search "Torrington" in New England railfan on current operations, both passenger and freight. Just some background on the branch; not really relevant to the reactivation of passenger service but an interesting sidebar: Penn Central in Torrington
 #1634953  by Jeff Smith

Thought I’d bump this topic from 2015. Not for any current developments but simply for the knowledge I’ve gained from working as a volunteer “trainman” on the Naugatuck Railroad’s scenic excursion trains (the Railroad Museum of New England is currently in the midst of a very successful Christmas season).

To some points made up thread:

-RMNE’s current excursions run as far south as the previously mentioned Fascia’s Chocolates and as far north as the Water Street “platform” where the old station was.
-the aforementioned “platform” needs major renovations
-the ROW is indeed very winding and track speeds run around 10 to 15 or so; unsure what the MAS is
-the Naugy’s current freight customers are south of their yard

I mentioned in passing to their director of passenger operations that it would be “neat” if they could operate into Waterbury. I found out how complicated that would be, and that it was basically a “foamer fantasy” lol. Yes, I foam. It would entail crossing two division posts, safety upgrades to the passenger coaches, just not feasible.

Anyway, Torrington just isn’t going to happen. RMNE and Naugy run a great operation, and is a huge draw for the area and from far afield as well.
 #1635026  by Scalziand

Funny thing is, I remember a time when the RMNE did run a train out of Waterbury; not from Waterbury station, but from the industrial area north of downtown. That trip went up to Thomaston Dam, and then returned.

Nevermind, I just checked, and it did leave from the area behind Fascia's Chocolates.

Anyway, the train and the depot look nice decked out for the holidays.