Railroad Forums 

• TLE&W - Needs help repairing track

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#441544  by ToledoTerminalRy

The Toledo Lake Erie & Western needs help! Mid July they had a cinder come out of their S-2 loco. stack and thus created a grass fire. It also caught all the weeds & brush they had sprayed with weed killer, along with some tie ends. Now they are trying to replace 6/10ths of a mile of ties (some burned some normal maint.). They are approx. 1/2 way done but are concerned they may not be able to get this done before their Halloween Special trains run. This is extremely important to them that this gets done. Currently the train has no station to stop at and are working from a stop near Bailey Rd. I am asking anyone and everyone come out and bring a friend Sat. or Sun. mornings to help replace ties. It takes one with a shovel about 30 minutes to replace one tie, so its hard work. We get out there at about 7am on both days and work till about 11am when everyone switches to running the train. If you would like to come out and help for just 15 minutes it would still be greatly appreciated, just bring a shovel. The work is going on behind the Browning Masonic Retirement Community. Just go out west on 24 (AW trail) in Waterville to Neowash Rd. turn right. Then in about 200 ft turn right again continue down this road to the railroad service rd where you will find vehicles parked down there.

Thanks in advance and I hope to see you there.

Ryan

#441823  by ToledoTerminalRy

I wanted to offer that I can pick up anyone in the Toledo area the next 2 sundays Sept 9th and Sept 16th as I will be going out there. I will be going from Oregon so anyone on the way or abouts in my area can ride with me if so desired.

Ryan

#447336  by railohio

Will they be working again this weekend? When and where?

~BS

#447632  by ToledoTerminalRy

Yes they will be. They will be out between Box & Bailey Roads, sat and sun from about 8 till 11. Best thing is to bring a regular shovel and a square shovel. For more info you can send an email to either:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Ryan

#447767  by railohio

I did track work for them for a couple years back in high school, I know all too well how it goes. This time around, however, I'm going to be providing help with my camera, trying to drum up some support for you guys through the media. I'll see if I can swing by when you guys are working as I have a few other assignments around the area to cover as well.

~BS
 #501781  by VITO

My grandson and I rode the train on the shortened route last year. The conductor said they needed train service help and i should give it a go. It sounds like fun if i can do it. I remember the original route was in west Toledo near Dorr street in the 60s. I worked for the TTRR in the 70s and early 80s so i have a bit of know how i guess.
 #503862  by VITO

I do recall they had a few ties set up also they had an old "cherry picker" to help install them. I also thought they said they were going to try for reconditioned ties to save money.But i know they want a full 2008 season and ridership had been pretty good in 07. They were planning a halloween train also.