Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#2448  by JoeG

I have a monthly Metro North ticket between NYP and Sloatsburg. It says on the front, Sloatsburg, Secaucus, NY Penn. It's printed on the back of a Metro Card, so Metro North also sends a monthly NJT ticket that works in the Secaucus fare gates. It says, NYP NYP SEC JCT on the front.
Recently I got on a train in Penn Station, going to Secaucus, and showed the crew member the metro north ticket. He didn't know what it was, and said it was no good even when I explained. He did accept the NJT ticket.
Just out of curiousity, was the crew member right, or was I? I've assumed that the actual ticket is the Metro North ticket and the NJT one is only provided because the magnetic strip on the MN ticket won't work at Secaucus. Most crew members accept either.
As a side note, I get a MN ticket from Sloatsburg even though I get on at Suffern because, if you also need a metro card, the MN ticket, bought from MN's mail'n'ride program, is substantially cheaper than NJT + Metro Card.

#2461  by Jtgshu

There was a revenue bulletin about this exact senario, but I honestly don't remember what it said........haahh

Anyway, I do remember that it did state the the person with the MTA monthly will also be issued an NJT monthly from NYP to SEC for the faregates and travel into NYP.

I have seen MTA monthlies, and as long as it says Secaucus and NYP, I accept it, but its on you to either explain it to the "faregate inspectors" at SEC or produce your NJT monthly pass for the faregates.