Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#286319  by CROR410

I want to do a trip from Halifax to Moncton and return as late in the fall as possible with the 'sky lounge' car so I take pictures of the fall colours. How late can I wait before they take that car out of service for the winter?
 #286389  by jp1822

Best to call VIA to find out when the "Easterly Class" is scheduled to be discontinued for the season. Only way you have access to the Park Car (dome/lounge car) is if you book in Easterly Class. Course Easterly Class Price includes the price for your meals and bedroom. See below.

If you are just going to travel in coach (Halifax to Moncton), then you'll only have access to the Renaissance service/lounge cars, diner, and your coach seat. The Renaissance lounge car does not have a dome, and frankly is not that much of a lounge in my opinion (just offers a few seats and windows are same configuration as rest of Renaissance windows). I do like the Renaissance coach seats though!

The train from Halifax to Montreal (the Ocean) offers three classes of service in peak period (May though October):

1. Comfort Class - essentially coach class with access to Renaissance coach, service/lounge car, and diner.

2. Comfort Sleeper - regular sleeper class with access to Renaissance service/lounge car, and diner.

3. Easterly Class - sleeper class with meals included and access to the Renaissance service/lounge car, diner AND famed Stainless Steel Budd Park Car/Dome/Lounge, which brings up the markers of the train!

Sometimes when the train is especially busy, I think coach passengers may not have access to the Renaissance diner - get your meals from the Renaissance service/lounge car, while sleeping car passengers have exclusive access to the Renaissance diner.

I would call VIA and ask them about the service or you may even be able to find out more on www.via.com. Exact start up and end dates for the Easterly class change year to year.
 #286391  by jp1822

And by the way, Easterly Class is great! I was on the Ocean in May and it was a great trip/experience. Easterly Class comes with the "Maritime Learning Experience."

The Park Car really makes the train worth the trip from Montreal all the way to Halifax. I would certainly miss the old stainless steel Budd equipment if travelling in the off season when the Park Car (Easterly Class) is not available.

Overall, though, I still miss the older equipment on this route. I think a lot of people do - regular travellers, locals etc. But VIA has worked to make the train unique with three different service classes.

#286422  by Ken V

Although you would have to spend the overnight in Moncton, the trip each way between Halifax and Moncton is done during the day and the price tag of Easterly Class compared with Comfort Class could be prohibitive. You might be able to get away with innocently wandering to the rear of the train from a coach seat, but don't count on it.

At this time, the VIA website shows Easterly Class, and therefore the Park car, being available up to the end of October.

#286853  by George L.

According to the VIA Rail website, Easterly class is available until October 30. I also noticed in the "News" tabs that there are at least two deals with big savings for Easterly class during that time period. One of them may be worth your while.
 #287068  by jp1822

They had a good promotion for Easterly Class for this single traveller during May, when I took the trip from Montreal to Halifax. It was very reasonable when all was considered. Compared to my previously quoted full fare, I got at least a 40% discount off with the final purchase etc. Then I coupled this with a VIA 1 trip from Toronto to Montreal and got to take advantage of another discount fare offering. All told, it was one of the cheaper trips to Canada - so to speak - in my last four years, as the Canadian dollar and US dollar have come closer aligned!

#289769  by CROR410

George L. wrote:According to the VIA Rail website, Easterly class is available until October 30. I also noticed in the "News" tabs that there are at least two deals with big savings for Easterly class during that time period. One of them may be worth your while.
I looked at it, and while its a good deal if you are going all the way to Montreal from Halifax, for my trip just to Moncton its still to pricey and like I said....we don't need a bedroom.

I called VIA and the reservations agent was blunt and 'cold' if you ask me. I sent them an email so let's see what comes.

V.