TERRE HAUTE, INDIANAPOLIS & EASTERN TRACTION CO.
Incorporated 1907, consolidating the following interurban railway companies. Unless noted, interurban companies basically operated between their namesake cities.
Indianapolis & Eastern Railway Co. (to Richmond)
Indianapolis & Martinsville Rapid Transit Co.
Indianapolis & Northwestern Traction Co. (to Lafayette)
Indianapolis & Western Railway Co. (to Danville)
Indianapolis, Crawfordsville & Western Traction Co.
Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Co. subsequently completed the line between Indianapolis and Terre Haute. Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Co. acquired in 1930 by Indiana Railroad, controlled until 1942 by Midland Utilities Co./Midland United Co.
Indianapolis-Dunreith (constructed 1900, discontinued 1932)
Dunreith-Richmond (constructed 1903, discontinued 1937)
Dunreith-New Castle (constructed 1903, discontinued 1937)
Indianapolis-Terre Haute (constructed 1900-1908, discontinued/replaced with buses 1940)
Terre Haute-Clinton (constructed 1903, discontinued 1931)
Terre Haute-Sullivan (constructed 1906, discontinued 1931)
Terre Haute-Paris (constructed 1907, discontinued 1932)
Indianapolis-Lafayette (constructed 1903, discontinued 1930)
Lebanon-Crawfordsville (constructed 1904, discontinued 1930)
Indianapolis-Crawfordsville (constructed 1907, discontinued 1930)
Indianapolis-Martinsville (constructed 1903, discontinued 1930)
Indianapolis-Danville (constructed 1906, discontinued 1930)
Local service: Richmond
Owned Terre Haute Traction & Light Co. 1907-1931
Owned Indianapolis Street Railway Co. 1907-1932
Indiana Railroad continued to operate replacement buses from Indianapolis to Terre Haute. Company sold in 1942 to Wesson Co., and sold in 1950 to Indianapolis & Southeastern Trailways. Service continued into 1970's or 1980's.
Replacement bus service from Indianapolis to Dunreith and New Castle was operated by Central Swallow Coach Lines, from as early as 1935. And replacement bus service from Indianapolis to Danville was operated by Danville Bus Line, from as early as 1936. In 1968, Indianapolis Transit Inc. acquired the Danville Bus Line. In 1975, service within Marion County on both routes assumed by Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation (IndyGo).
Bus service between Terre Haute and Sullivan operated by Western Indiana Coach Inc., and bus service between Terre Haute and Paris operated by Western Motor Lines Inc. Both services presumably replaced interurban railways, and existed at least into 1940's.
Competing bus service from Indianapolis to Richmond, Terre Haute, and Lafayette, operated by original Greyhound Lines Inc., later Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines.
Competing bus service from Indianapolis to Crawfordsville operated by Swallow Coach Lines, later Illini Swallow Lines. In 2000, scheduled Illini Swallow Lines service acquired by Burlington Trailways.