Railroad Forums 

• The two LV 95041's

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#439391  by GOLDEN-ARM

For those wanting a real LV hack, here's one for sale, right now. I want one, but I want the 95032, or the 95050, or the 1776. This one seems like a good deal, if you can move it...... HACK

Here's the old gal, back in the day Image

This is her, today Image

#439436  by CAR_FLOATER

Wish I could convince the South Plainfield Historical Society to buy it......But they don't seem to care much about the railroad.......Gee, not like the LV gave the town a reason to exist or even put it on the map or nuthin'........

CF

#440675  by washingtonsecondary

Looks like no one bid on it and bidding ended. Might go back up for auction if the seller is looking to seriously unload it. Wish I had the money, I'd buy it. I'm sure my neighbors would love a caboose on the block...

#469917  by Lehighton_Man

heh, howa 'bout to manchester Shortsville.
The only problem is the friction bearing trucks.
If they were to be replaced, then it could be moved over-rail.

#472976  by BR&P

Lehighton, you're a wealth of information but most of it is wrong. There are other factors which would probably preclude moving a LV hack by rail. Among them, age itself would be an issue, and I believe those things had a Duryea underframe which I think is banned in interchange.

And does Manchester need another LV caboose? They're not doing anything with the one that is already there.

#473018  by GN 599

Not a bad little crummy. Looks like it would clean up real nice. Judging by the cars I see everyday working for a class 1 I dont think the frame would make a difference as long as its all steel. I dont think the carmen of today would look underneath and even know what a Durea underframe is. Speaking for the BNSF we have a lot of maintence of way stuff, 40 foot boxes and flats from the 40's. They have roller bearings of course and I have had them placed anywhere in my train.

#473057  by Otto Vondrak

Frankly, it's probably safer to move a vintage piece by truck than by rail. Something goes wrong and who gets blamed? The "antique" and the museum group who owns it.

If some group or individual wants to purchase sponsor the car, I bet we could give it a good home in Rochester where she will be put to good use (behind a certain hammerhead RS-3)...

#473084  by BR&P

There are far fewer restrictions on a company moving its own MW equipment than there are on interchange moves. For example, friction bearings are allowed in captive service, but not for interchange. Most of the big guys have done away with them entirely even on company equipment, but that's their choice, not the AAR or FRA.

#473297  by GN 599

If it had roller bearings it would be a whole different ball of wax. As it sits right now its a candidate for a truck. I hope it finds a good home. 5k is a little much. Its not worth that in scrap value.

#473449  by lvrr325

What's it weigh? The old Herald King decal set reads 44400, or 22.2 tons. Depending on how much short steel you cut out of it scrapping it, you might pull $5000 out of it; at $150 a ton it's worth $3300 anyhow.

And an LV caboose converted to rollers can go anywhere by rail; the CNY Chapter has one, with friction bearings, and yet it's being moved by rail to Martisco from Jamesville. That took some artful negotiations since the NYS&W and Finger Lakes don't directly interchange.

I don't know why the R&GV let RIT beat them to the punch on a big annual train show; those can be a real moneymaker for a club.

#473790  by BR&P

Just because the trucks have roller bearings does NOT mean this caboose "can go anywhere by rail".

49 CFR 215.203 specifically restricts the operation of cars over 50 years old, and further restricts cars with a Duryea underframe constructed before April 1, 1950. Yes, there is an exception on the underframe IF it is a caboose operated as the last car in a train. But you would need an FRA waiver to allow the car to move due to age alone.

Today's Class I's don't want to be bothered with oddball moves involving locos, coaches, cabooses, or anything which requires special handling or extra red tape. In some cases they will do so reluctantly, but only at a pretty steep price. In other cases, they will flat out refuse the move.

By the way, I show this caboose as the REAL 95041. Reportedly, the 95069 was repainted as 95041 and is at Catskill Mountain RR at Phonecia NY. Anybody know why it was renumbered? Maybe the purchaser's great uncle or someone used to be assigned the 95041 and they wanted to represent it. If it's something along those lines, if they had waited they could have had the real thing!

#485880  by PassRailSavesFuel

[quote="BR&P"]Just because the trucks have roller bearings does NOT mean this caboose "can go anywhere by rail".

49 CFR 215.203 specifically restricts the operation of cars over 50 years old, and further restricts cars with a Duryea underframe constructed before April 1, 1950. Yes, there is an exception on the underframe IF it is a caboose operated as the last car in a train. But you would need an FRA waiver to allow the car to move due to age alone.

Today's Class I's don't want to be bothered with oddball moves involving locos, coaches, cabooses, or anything which requires special handling or extra red tape. In some cases they will do so reluctantly, but only at a pretty steep price. In other cases, they will flat out refuse the move.

By the way, I show this caboose as the REAL 95041. Reportedly, the 95069 was repainted as 95041 and is at Catskill Mountain RR at Phonecia NY. Anybody know why it was renumbered? Maybe the purchaser's great uncle or someone used to be assigned the 95041 and they wanted to represent it. If it's something along those lines, if they had waited they could have had the real thing![/quote]

50 years old? Isn't that 65 years old now? There are many oddball moves everyday. That's why the supersystems are so screwed up on their downsized operations! It's young managers doing stupid moves with 9.000 foot trains! It's not because they had to give service to a customer! I think most business cars owned by the railroads are more than 50 years old now.
All their prices are quite steep today. That's what you get when most railroads are ripped up. No competition.
Don't know anything about underframes....if it was me, I'd jack it up like the some of the railroads do. Then place a flatcar under it. Then let it down. Then dare them to give me service!

#485937  by BR&P

I don't get the point of your post. If the rule says over 50 years, and the caboose is 65 years old, obviously it's restricted! As for putting it on a flat car, that would be an option, but the discussion had been whether or not it would/could be moved on its own wheels.

"It's young managers doing stupid trains" ?? I have NO idea what that's all about!