Railroad Forums 

• THE SHORT LINE Magazine

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#383787  by TB Diamond

For several years from the late 1970s into the mid-1980s I subscribed to a magazine entitled THE SHORT LINE. This was published in North Carolina and dealt strictly with short line and industrial railroads. Is this magazine still being published?
Last edited by TB Diamond on Sun May 13, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#383831  by BR&P

Unfortunately, no. Garreth McDonald published it up until issue 150, in May 2000. At that point it was sold to an outfit who ran some short line railroads themselves, and they butchered it so badly that it didn't last long. Too bad - it was interesting and informative.

#384005  by gashat

The Short Line is still being published by by Pioneer RR services inc 1318 S.Johanson road Peoria Ill 61607-1130. Just recivied my newest copy last tuesday.

#384047  by BR&P

OK - I stand corrected. The first issue or two after Pioneer took over were terrible. The "news" was mostly reports on the various Pioneer shortlines, and the photos were sometimes of dubious quality. If they are still in business apparently they made some improvements. Maybe I'll have to send for a sample and see if it's worth starting a subscription again.

#384055  by Aa3rt

Thanks for the information gentlemen-I used to enjoy "The Short Line" as well, but haven't seen it in years. I just a did a search and found their website at:

http://www.the-short-line.com/PublicationFeatures.htm

A subscription will cost you $ 19.95 per year in the US.

#384125  by TB Diamond

And I thank you folks for the information, as well.

#398191  by PVRX1

The 12 page magazine "The Short Line" was an excellent source of news and information. It had small type and every page was jammed with news, information, rosters, etc.

It is still published today, it has large type, little information (in comparison), and generally is still a butcher job of its original self.

Sad. Very Sad.