• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Hawaiitiki

Steve F45 wrote:whats wrong with that? They are finally going to develope that huge parcel of land into something good. The town will get tax revenue, maybe they'll make teterboro a larger station. I think that's great that they want to build a nice retail center there.
Believe me, I want it to work. Just the proximity to the airport, the already horrendous trafffic 17 and 46, the dilapidated state of that stretch of 46, and its proximity to several other shopping centers. That area of southern Bergen County has had a relatively stable population for the past 20 years. I only see this project taking away from nearby shopping centers in Little Ferry, South Hackensack, Hackensack, and Hasbrouck Heights. I see new massive shopping centers along Rt 17 and wonder where these people are coming from. They're coming from the downtowns and already established retail centers of these areas, not out of thin air. The already dense saturation of shopping centers arouses some distaste for this project but maybe I was just hopeful Teterboro-Williams Street would get phased out completely so I can get to Hillsdale faster during the week. :).
  by airman00

I saw an interesting move on the PVL today, 3/25/12. It went by fast, but it looked like 4105 (running long hood forward) 6-8 comets (appeared to be all comet 4's) and the a pl42. (didn't catch the number of the pl42 engine) The train was headed towards hoboken. Obviously this was some kind of equipment move, but don't know if it was related to the previous day's easter train? (at least it appeared on saturday to be an easter train) the saturday train was pl42 #4004, and 6 comets, (5 c4's and 1 c5 cab car)

So between the easter train and equipment move, every so often something interesting goes by on the PVL. :) Incidentally the easter train was in the Westwood station for like 5 full minutes... enough to really build up traffic big time. Even a police officer showed up with his lights on because it seemed he didn't know what was going on. Although by the time he got there the train's bell sounded a few seconds later and then it left.
  by Hawaiitiki

airman00 wrote:I saw an interesting move on the PVL today, 3/25/12. It went by fast, but it looked like 4105 (running long hood forward) 6-8 comets (appeared to be all comet 4's) and the a pl42. (didn't catch the number of the pl42 engine) The train was headed towards hoboken. Obviously this was some kind of equipment move, but don't know if it was related to the previous day's easter train? (at least it appeared on saturday to be an easter train) the saturday train was pl42 #4004, and 6 comets, (5 c4's and 1 c5 cab car)

So between the easter train and equipment move, every so often something interesting goes by on the PVL. :) Incidentally the easter train was in the Westwood station for like 5 full minutes... enough to really build up traffic big time. Even a police officer showed up with his lights on because it seemed he didn't know what was going on. Although by the time he got there the train's bell sounded a few seconds later and then it left.
I was on the westbound train on the siding in Hackensack when that consist flew by compass southbound. You could clearly hear that only the Geep was running, most of the interior lights were off in the comets, and marquee board just said "NJ Transit" on it. I would have guessed that the PL42 had broken down, as opposed to an equipment move, because why would only the older, long-hood forward locomotive with less horsepower be activated.
  by ACeInTheHole

Hawaiitiki wrote:
airman00 wrote:I saw an interesting move on the PVL today, 3/25/12. It went by fast, but it looked like 4105 (running long hood forward) 6-8 comets (appeared to be all comet 4's) and the a pl42. (didn't catch the number of the pl42 engine) The train was headed towards hoboken. Obviously this was some kind of equipment move, but don't know if it was related to the previous day's easter train? (at least it appeared on saturday to be an easter train) the saturday train was pl42 #4004, and 6 comets, (5 c4's and 1 c5 cab car)

I was on the westbound train on the siding in Hackensack when that consist flew by compass southbound. You could clearly hear that only the Geep was running, most of the interior lights were off in the comets, and marquee board just said "NJ Transit" on it. I would have guessed that the PL42 had broken down, as opposed to an equipment move, because why would only the older, long-hood forward locomotive with less horsepower be activated.

Especially when that older locomotive is 4105, that thing is garbage, you know your train is in serious trouble when that is tbe one rescuing you.
  by sixty-six

beanbag wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:

Especially when that older locomotive is 4105, that thing is garbage, you know your train is in serious trouble when that is tbe one rescuing you.
It's only garbage because the HEP on it never works. It works just fine as a work engine.
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:

It's only garbage because the HEP on it never works. It works just fine as a work engine.
Oh thank you for the clarifier sixty-six. Good to know.
  by Hawaiitiki

http://policy.rutgers.edu/vtc/tod/newsl ... NJTOD.html

"River Edge, together with NJ TRANSIT, believes that the redevelopment of the station area will bring additional revenue to the borough and riders to the transit agency. Former Borough redevelopment attorney, Colin Quinn, estimates that the new development will bring in $1 million in tax revenue each year. The station site encompasses 3.8 acres, a portion of which lies on a flood plain. It is jointly owned by River Edge, which owns about one-third of an acre on the Hackensack border, and NJ TRANSIT, which owns the rest. The site is currently underutilized, occupied only by surface parking for the station and wooded land."

I've never found any data on the development around the New Bridge Landing station. I know from overhearing people on the train that there already is a 6 month+ waiting period for a parking pass at that station, so if they plan to add office and residential properties, that parking garage certainly needs to be constructed. I also think a real key to increasing ridership at this station would be to somehow tie in the existing large office towers on Hackensack Ave(the ones with the TGI Friday) via a footbridge over that creek.
  by oknazevad

As a local, I too think that the biggest improvement New Bridge Landing could use is better pedestrian access from the south and east. While not impossible, the ability to use it to get to the Continental Plaza (those office buildings) and Riverside Square mall is limited. That's a weakness. The area isn't particularly packed with other foot traffic friendly things, either. Not a whole lot of really close residences (a large group of garden apartments, but they're uphill and not particularly close), nor easily accessed, major commercial draws. It does seem like its pretty ripe for a ToD sort of thing. Hopefully we'll a new station building out of it, too.
  by TDowling

Isn't New Bridge Landing a historical site?
  by Steve F45

Yes, but they renamed the North Hackensack station, New Bridge Landing bout 2 years ago.

And how would you improve pedestrian access? You already have sidewalks along hackensack avenue that go right to the mall. Maybe a stairwell of sorts could be built up to the route 4 overpass but other then that what could you possibly do?
  by Hawaiitiki

TDowling wrote:Isn't New Bridge Landing a historical site?
The actually New Bridge Landing Historical Site is not synonomous with the station. The station was renamed in the past 5 years. It used to be called North Hackensack even though it was in RiverEdge and now its referred to on the station signs as New Bridge Landing at River Edge, completely removing Hackensack from the name.

Also, most of the developments proposed around the NBR station are upon land that is already in use as parking lots for the station. Also, the Bergen County Police are moving their yard to the south-side of Hackensack freeing up even more land adjacent the NBR station for Transit oriented development.
  by Steve F45

Hawaiitiki wrote:
TDowling wrote:Isn't New Bridge Landing a historical site?
The actually New Bridge Landing Historical Site is not synonomous with the station. The station was renamed in the past 5 years. It used to be called North Hackensack even though it was in RiverEdge and now its referred to on the station signs as New Bridge Landing at River Edge, completely removing Hackensack from the name.

Also, most of the developments proposed around the NBR station are upon land that is already in use as parking lots for the station. Also, the Bergen County Police are moving their yard to the south-side of Hackensack freeing up even more land adjacent the NBR station for Transit oriented development.
the bergen county police are not moving there yard or hq to the south end of hackensack, we are going to paramus. Its already started. And the property will be sold off and I could see it turning into a small transit oritented condo village.
  by Hawaiitiki

I had read somewhere you guys were moving closer to the prison. I guess that was outdated information, my apologies.
  by Steve F45

Hawaiitiki wrote:I had read somewhere you guys were moving closer to the prison. I guess that was outdated information, my apologies.
The county had bought the slipper factory, knocked it down and then decided not to build on it. So now its a gravel lot for extra parking when the sherriff's lot gets filled. The county police are moving to the old oem building in Paramus across from bergen regional. Our traffic safety has already moved in. DPW who knows when, but whenever, a new condoplex will takes it's place. Great location off rt 4, by the riverside mall, and train station.
  by Steve F45

The Machine wrote:There has been a giant sign on route 4 saying something along the lines of "new development forthcoming!" for at least the past 3 years. River Edge seems to want to make the south end a real destination; clearly it had a bit of a complex about the "North Hackensack" branding. Yes, a must would be improved access to Riverside mall - Hackensack Avenue is a bit of a deathtrap. However, I don't think the high-end customers would mainly be coming from the train; but the parking garage could serve them well.
that is where the old huffman koo's store was. It's been a vacant lot ever since they tore it down, 3 years ago. No sign of anything being done with it.