• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by waldwickrailfan

NS trains deliver cars tues. and thurs. up to Tallman,NY. Dyke's Lumber i think is the farthest it goes. it is used often, but hasnt gone down further than that in many, many years.
  by oknazevad

They come from the Suffern side. It's now called the Suffern Industrial Track, and that's the end of it. East of there the track is discontinuous, though there are some remnants. The crossing of 306 is gone, for example, and the former RoW is encroached. So it's still not a viable alternate route to rescue stranded equipment.
  by oknazevad

I passed the area couple of times earlier. The first time I didn't get a close look, but some workers and what was either a ballast dumper or a tie tamper. Second time I swung by they looked to be finished, as there were only a couple of guys giving what looked like a final once over. What ever equipment was trapped Woodburne Yard in Spring Valley is free, as that yard is empty (just passed it a few minutes ago).

If anything could be said to be fortunate about this, it's that there was already RoW work scheduled on the line, which meant that fewer trains were running in the first place, and the equipment was already in the vicinity.
  by cruiser939

Hawaiitiki wrote:I know this isnt on the particular topic of PVL Maintenance but its very PVL related. The PVL for the past few years has been on the slow road to adequeacy but there are a few things still holding it back. With the new passing sidings, all-day bidrectional service was advertised; however, at time when an inbound train would be most necessary there isnt one. Between 4:20pm and 9:00pm on weekdays, there are no trains to Hoboken. So if your thinking Knicks/Rangers/Red Bull game, a night out in Hoboken/NYC, or a Broadway Show; your SOL on the PVL. Do any folks more knowledgable than I, know if the building of GOLF(siding in Oradell between Kinderkamack and Emerson Golf Club) would have alleviated this vital gap in service? Now with virturally hourly weekend service and bi-directional service most of the day, this large gap seems to be only remaining, albeit large, hole in service.
While building the extra siding would help issues in general, it probably wouldn't lead to many (if any) reverse peak trips. Look at the Gladstone Branch, there are big service holes there and plenty of sidings.
  by dano23

Saw 4146 come off the Pascack on Saturday with 3 ballast cars and a few side dumps when I was heading to Hoboken around 715ish.

Last train of the night for the Pascack was bus only from Secaucus Jct. via the last Port Jervis train which caused some hilarious confusion.
  by waldwickrailfan

i heard some MOW equipment passing New Milford earlier today at around 2:30.
  by nick11a

cruiser939 wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:I know this isnt on the particular topic of PVL Maintenance but its very PVL related. The PVL for the past few years has been on the slow road to adequeacy but there are a few things still holding it back. With the new passing sidings, all-day bidrectional service was advertised; however, at time when an inbound train would be most necessary there isnt one. Between 4:20pm and 9:00pm on weekdays, there are no trains to Hoboken. So if your thinking Knicks/Rangers/Red Bull game, a night out in Hoboken/NYC, or a Broadway Show; your SOL on the PVL. Do any folks more knowledgable than I, know if the building of GOLF(siding in Oradell between Kinderkamack and Emerson Golf Club) would have alleviated this vital gap in service? Now with virturally hourly weekend service and bi-directional service most of the day, this large gap seems to be only remaining, albeit large, hole in service.
While building the extra siding would help issues in general, it probably wouldn't lead to many (if any) reverse peak trips. Look at the Gladstone Branch, there are big service holes there and plenty of sidings.
Having the Lyons Siding interlocked with home signals would help to decrease this... but, I digress.... ;-)
  by Steve F45

They are rebuilding Oradell Avenue crossing. They closed it on Friday night.
  by Hawaiitiki

On the PVL, between the junction with the Meadowlands Line(SPORT) and Wood-Ridge's PVL station, the line is double tracked and, for a short-time, triple tracked. The siding tracks still have wooden sleepers and for the most part do not appear to have been reconstructed during the contruction of the Meadowlands Spur or during PVL upgrades. I was curious if NJT uses these tracks as passing sidings or are they simply freight-dedicated tracks for NS serving the industries along the line?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qt554p ... orm=LMLTCC

http://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.838822 ... 2&t=h&z=19
  by sixty-six

Hawaiitiki wrote:On the PVL, between the junction with the Meadowlands Line(SPORT) and Wood-Ridge's PVL station, the line is double tracked and, for a short-time, triple tracked. The siding tracks still have wooden sleepers and for the most part do not appear to have been reconstructed during the contruction of the Meadowlands Spur or during PVL upgrades. I was curious if NJT uses these tracks as passing sidings or are they simply freight-dedicated tracks for NS serving the industries along the line?

It's primarily used by freight only, but during Meadowlands events you'll usually see a train parked on the Long Siding between Plank and Seamans.
  by OportRailfan

jimzim66 wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:On the PVL, between the junction with the Meadowlands Line(SPORT) and Wood-Ridge's PVL station, the line is double tracked and, for a short-time, triple tracked. The siding tracks still have wooden sleepers and for the most part do not appear to have been reconstructed during the contruction of the Meadowlands Spur or during PVL upgrades. I was curious if NJT uses these tracks as passing sidings or are they simply freight-dedicated tracks for NS serving the industries along the line?

It's primarily used by freight only, but during Meadowlands events you'll usually see a train parked on the Long Siding between Plank and Seamans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_PcaBRaTlk#t=0m8s
  by Hawaiitiki

I've been noticing that the lumber yard in Emerson, the PVL's most Northerly freight customer, has stopped receiving shipments. Ironically, within the past 1-3 years, a more advanced siding was constructed at the site to prevent disruptions with the increased PVL traffic. The siding's rails are now extremely rusty, and on the lumber yard's property, trucks and lumber have been lying on the tracks for at least the entirety of the summer. Does anyone know if the lumber yard is going to renew rail shipments when the real estate market picks up or has freight on the PVL retreated to south of Essex Street for good?
  by riffian

Can't answer your question, but I read somewhere that Kuiken Brothers opened a lumber distribution yard somewhere....perhaps on the M&E Chester branch? This could have an effect on the individual lumber yards.