• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by oknazevad

Yeah, the old Huffman Koos site has been a bit of an eye sore since the real estate market downturn put those plans on apparent hold. The worst part is the smaller tenants who got forced out by it; the small bakery that was there was great and always busy. The station area is a good candidate for TOD, but I hope they don't undermine the parking situation, which they just expanded.
  by Steve F45

oknazevad wrote:Yeah, the old Huffman Koos site has been a bit of an eye sore since the real estate market downturn put those plans on apparent hold. The worst part is the smaller tenants who got forced out by it; the small bakery that was there was great and always busy. The station area is a good candidate for TOD, but I hope they don't undermine the parking situation, which they just expanded.
They might aswell expand parking again, that gravel lot they built as it max capacity already.
  by airman00

Multi-levels have finally reached the PVL? That's good news. :)
  by Hawaiitiki

airman00 wrote:Multi-levels have finally reached the PVL? That's good news. :)
Has this become a consistent consist or was it a one-time thing? I'd love to catch a shot of those beasts running across the quaint grade-crossings from Oradell to Montvale.
  by airman00

Hawaiitiki wrote:
Has this become a consistent consist or was it a one-time thing? I'd love to catch a shot of those beasts running across the quaint grade-crossings from Oradell to Montvale.
I have no idea, so rather than speculate I'll let someone who works for NJT respond to that one. :)
  by Jtgshu

You can have them! haha

Although with 100 more coming, id expect to start seeing them in places that they haven't really roamed much or a lot lately once they are all delivered...

yay
  by airman00

I rode the PVL to hoboken today and then back home later on, and something I've always noticed is the maze of old freight and mow trackage coming off the line as you run towards hoboken, and have always wondered how much of that old trackage is still active. Although by the overgrown weeds I think in some spots my question was just answered. However there were some old peices of mow equipment here and there on these old sections of track.

Anyway "back in the day" so to speak the PVL must've been a freight haven. :)
  by ebtmikado

In the 1960s and 1970s when I worked on the NJ&NY, there were 2 freight switching jobs (one morning, one afternoon), that worked between NJ&NY Jct. and Hackensack, plus the NJ&NY Way Freight, which worked between Hackensack and Suffern.

Lee Carlson
  by Steve F45

when i was a kid i used to ride my bike around the teterboro area and the tracks in that area were crazy. Granted most were all disconnected from the pvl but still in the ground. Some are still visible now. Carlstadt is like a maze still. But i can't remember when i saw a freight on the pvl. Best thing to see how crazy it was back in the day is to use historicaerials.com.
  by ebtmikado

There was also a 3-foot gauge railroad out there in the meadows, that serviced a clay pit and brick works off Moonachie Ave.
This line crossed one of the long industrial spurs of the NJ&NY RR. Since the brick railroad was there first, the standard gauge
freight trains had to stop and flag the n.g. crossing. Don't know if the little railroad had an official name, but the EL train
crews called it the Mud Duck RR.

Lee
  by airman00

This is all very interesting thank you! :) It's too bad most of this (if not all) is OOS.
  by Steve F45

ebtmikado wrote:There was also a 3-foot gauge railroad out there in the meadows, that serviced a clay pit and brick works off Moonachie Ave.
This line crossed one of the long industrial spurs of the NJ&NY RR. Since the brick railroad was there first, the standard gauge
freight trains had to stop and flag the n.g. crossing. Don't know if the little railroad had an official name, but the EL train

Lee
interesting. going to use historicaerials.com to see if i can spot it.
  by Hawaiitiki

Steve F45 wrote:
ebtmikado wrote:There was also a 3-foot gauge railroad out there in the meadows, that serviced a clay pit and brick works off Moonachie Ave.

Lee
interesting. going to use historicaerials.com to see if i can spot it.
The Mud Duck RR thing is very interesting. There is little there today to remind anyone of a clay pit, but I found what looks like a clay pit attached to an ROW that clearly crosses the longest of the PVL industrial spurs. Also, its right off of Moonachie Road so I have to imagine this is what EBTMIKADO speaks of. Very interesting stuff. I grew up in Wood-Ridge and until today, never heard of this operation.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials. ... &year=1966
  by ebtmikado

That's the place! You can see that it curves down into the pit. after crossing the NJ&NY spur, it went to the brick works, which I remember being a black building, north of the NJ&NY track.

Lee Carlson