Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#778461  by buddah

Ken V wrote: here's one better
Thanks Ken..... that's pretty close to the tracks if I must say along with the house being at level with the tracks and no barrier wall. A little weird not just for passenger service but for freight as well. Atleast most ROW in the Chicagoland area ( where I'm looking at a new residence) have a ditch and huge evergreen trees as a barrier between the ROW and the back yard.
 #778609  by NS VIA FAN

buddah wrote:
Ken V wrote: here's one better
Thanks Ken..... that's pretty close to the tracks if I must say along with the house being at level with the tracks and no barrier wall. A little weird not just for passenger service but for freight as well. Atleast most ROW in the Chicagoland area ( where I'm looking at a new residence) have a ditch and huge evergreen trees as a barrier between the ROW and the back yard.
Perhaps in Chicagoland but what you see here is probably pretty normal for most ROWs in Canada or the US. A row of trees, a ditch or a chain-link fence isn’t going to stop a train if it decides to leave the track.

Look at the NEC through the heavily populated northeast. Buildings are built to the edge of the ROW. If a 140mph Acela leaves the track……nothing’s going to stop it……it’s coming through the back wall!
 #778632  by buddah

NS VIA FAN wrote: Perhaps in Chicagoland but what you see here is probably pretty normal for most ROWs in Canada or the US. A row of trees, a ditch or a chain-link fence isn’t going to stop a train if it decides to leave the track.
Look at the NEC through the heavily populated northeast. Buildings are built to the edge of the ROW. If a 140mph Acela leaves the track……nothing’s going to stop it……it’s coming through the back wall!
LOL..I definitely agree in most of the US in largely rural areas there nothing separating the ROW and the land owners property but most small to midsized towns that have trains higher than lets say 45 mph usually have the houses a good distance from the tracks. exceptions to mass transit, where even in Chicago the "L" passes so close to some apartments you can literally reach your hand out the window and touch someone. THE NEC is another exception most places where buildings are directly against the ROW I believe the speed limit is 110 or 125 max. In regards to barriers A fully matured evergreen tree can take a large force exerted on them ( much more that a chain link fence) and possibly stop a average speed train from entering your house. However as you said if and when a train decides to leave the tracks Nothing really can stop it.

this might be the beginning a a great topic.... The most vulnerable residencies along a ROW.
 #782415  by timberley

In the discussion below a photo of the wrecked 6400 on Railpictures.net (see link below), one of the commenters mentions having confirmation from MMC that there was frame damage to 6400, so it will be scrapped.

Can anyone attest to the validity of this?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 730&nseq=0
 #782426  by jp1822

So it looks like the Budd stainless steel (ex-CP) passenger rail cars may have made it through this accident somewhat inscathed, while the locomotive power is a completely different story. VIA seemes to already have a Chateau series sleeper and Diner seperated from the consist and ready to be tranported to Montreal - likely for some general repairs and what not from the wreck. But nothing serious from what I saw of the passenger equipment. As discussed the locomotives seem to have a different story.
 #784290  by Leo_Ames

timberley wrote:In the discussion below a photo of the wrecked 6400 on Railpictures.net (see link below), one of the commenters mentions having confirmation from MMC that there was frame damage to 6400, so it will be scrapped.

Can anyone attest to the validity of this?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 730&nseq=0
I bet it's an assumption.

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like a pretty safe assumption to make.
 #784774  by Montrealrail

The 6400 was at Montreal MMC last wek,I get the info the it left the MMC on wednesday..
The last time I seen it on hit's wheels.they transfert it with an ex GO-Transit,from St-Charles-de-Bellechasse to Montreal.

they could get a rebuilt with the 6400,I will get surprised if they scrap it out..
When CAD made the rebuilt,they dismounting the engine all in pieces befor to do the big work..
The other option,the can get it stripped for pieces to fix other engines..
 #787618  by Tom6921

Where did you take that photo? I assume it's outside VIA properity. What's the nearest street and major intersection.

I'm thinking of coming to Montreal and stopping by the MMC to photograph 6400.
 #791679  by Montrealrail

You can acces there by Autoroute Bonaventure,but,you have to get off at Technopark to be able to see in the yard..
By downtowon,take bridge street,just before to get Victoria bridge,there's a small street that you can turn left(des Irlandais street),and right after,take your right on Chemin des Moulins street.,but do not get on the highway,juste passing under Victoria bridge,turn right and you will be right on Marc-Cantin Stret behind MMC,where you can look bleong the fence to see..

heres google map ,where you can see the way to get there
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&ie=UTF ... 3&t=h&z=17

and very close from there.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&ie=UTF ... 3&t=h&z=17

just behind Mel's studios..
You will get this kind of point of view from the yard
 #797037  by Tom6921

Last Wednesday I went by the MMC. By then, 6400 was moved in front of the wrecked 6430. Plus VIA put a black tarp over 6400 though the unit's nose was sticking out. 6400 has been given the same treatment as the wrecked 6423.