Railroad Forums 

• The next classic

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#141713  by Tadman

In auto fan circles, we sometimes guess at what the next Duesenberg will be - in other words, what the next classic will be. It seems the SD40 holds the mantle right now and toughest and longest lasting second generation power. What will be the "next" SD40 in terms of longevity, toughness, and ubiquity?

I'm guessing the SD70MAC - sure as heck won't be the "green goat"...

#141734  by ANDY117

SD70 series.
 #141743  by Sam Damon

Tadman wrote: I'm guessing the SD70MAC - sure as heck won't be the "green goat"...
I'm told that's EMD's thoughts on the matter, FWIW.

#142129  by TerryC

Tadman, do you mean just the SD40 or both the SD40 and the SD40-2? I think that the SD80MAC will become a classic. As will the the SD70 series like ANDY117 said. Maybe the SD70 most of all.

keep searching keep finding
1929th member on this forum

#142177  by byte

Are you sure about the SD80MAC? There weren't really enough built for them to be widespread enough to be considered a "classic," and although at the moment it's not really a big issue, their oddball 20-cylinder prime movers will probably be a contributing factor in their ultimate demise.

#142190  by emd_SD_60

Would the SD45 also count?

I think the SD70 series will be the next classic, probably not for another 30 years! :-D

Just look at Uncle Pete, the SD70M is practically the "new SD40-2" to them, with well over 300 units.

#142248  by MEC407

emd_SD_60 wrote:Just look at Uncle Pete, the SD70M is practically the "new SD40-2" to them, with well over 300 units.
I thought they had over 1000 SD70Ms.

#142250  by emd_SD_60

That would sound more like it...:wink:

#142286  by AmtrakFan

They have more then 1K.

#142682  by junction tower

Imagine how many they might have if they had started buying them back in 94 or 95! :-D

#144701  by trainiac

In terms of "longevity, toughness, and ubiquity"... Hmm... I'd have to agree on the SD70M (or Teir-II successors)

#146052  by TerryC

I think the SD80MACs are classics since few were built and that they could be (are) the first unpopular AC locomotives built. The SD80MACs are also the first locomotives since the SD45 to have a 20 cylinder prime mover.

keep searching keep finding
1929th member on this forum

#146943  by trainiac

I think the SD80MACs are classics since few were built and that they could be (are) the first unpopular AC locomotives built. The SD80MACs are also the first locomotives since the SD45 to have a 20 cylinder prime mover.
I really do like SD80MAC's, but those reasons don't necessarily make them a classic--especially the fact that there were few built. "Classic" is something that is "an excellent model of its kind"; "balanced, formal, regular, simple etc"; "famous as traditional or typical" (from good ol' Webster's dictionary). That's why I chose the SD70M :-D .