Railroad Forums 

• The new siding - Dover, NH

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#219227  by Dick H

I believe there will not be a new siding. The #2 main track between Dover and Rollinsford will be rebuilt to passenger train standards. Currently, this track is restricted to 10 MPH and Amtrak Downeaster trains are not permitted to use it. This upgrade will allow Downeaster "meets" at Dover and permit a fifth daily round trip.

Dick

#219235  by Rockingham Racer

That's it, then. The "new" siding was to allow running of a fifth Downeaster. Thanks for the info, Dick!

#219758  by NaugMOW

Guilford is going to have an even bigger headache now with another siding tied up by the Downeaster. They removed a couple of CS's when the rehabed the line for the Downeaster and now they have so few CS's left north of Lowell that its a wonder that they're still able to move freight.

#219980  by wolfmom69

The CS is still intact at North Berwick,plenty long enough,but hasn't been used since the Amtrak rehab,as has been stated. Seems a lot cheaper to fix this one up than build a new passing siding,but since the "Govt." will foot the bill,why not build a new one.? :(

Bud

#220133  by NaugMOW

Where is the CP at North Berwick? I've always been under the impression that it was removed. I'm guessing you're talking about the CS from CPF 232 to CPF 233. I have no knowlege if the track is intact, but its only on the ETT as a siding w/o a CP associated. The track is labeled 'Husseys'.

The only CS points I could find were Lawerence to Haverhill (CPF-AS to CPF273, Newfields (CPF258-CPF256), Dover and Rollinsford (CPF244-CPF241), Wells (CPF228-CPF226), and Surf(Saco) (CPF209-CPF211)

Rollinsford is only 10MPF freight on Trk 2 though...

#220136  by NaugMOW

Actually---
Judging by this photo: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20020 ... k&BOOL=ALL

It appears that there is a little more then just an industrial track here...

So... the question is, why is it not in service??

Is this trackage not connected east end as indicated in the timetable??

I guess I learned something new...

#220336  by MEC407

There is no passenger station in North Berwick, and little, if any, local freight activity there.

There is a passenger station in Dover, and substantial local freight activity.

Makes the most sense to have the siding in Dover, then, wouldn't you think?
 #220367  by MIKEMOXIEMAINE

From what this lurker has heard.
One plan was/is to put in a crossover towards the eastend on the CS at Dover.

Another plan was/is to put yet another crossover west of the station in Wells.

Both of these would be long enought to take a small train ,without tieing up the whole length of the CS.

Also talked about was a long siding between Mp 220ish(River road Arundel) and Log Cabin road Arundel. 10,000 ish feet.

#220511  by wolfmom69

Last time I saw a train parked on the N.Berwick passing siding was in 1998,or 1999,prior to the rehab.(had two GP-9s so I remember it).

I have a current track plan,and one dating back to 1953,when line was mostly double tracked most of its entire length.

Hussey Mfg. has not used rail in many a year,and last cars I saw down there was in the 70's and these were loaded trailers going out on the piggyback ramp.

As far as "not using the CS",this is NOT unusual for Guilford. Walnut siding,between CPF 185 and MP 183,was out of service for about 5 years,not being put back until this past summer. There are a couple of other O/S passing sidings in District I; Winthrop is one.

It is NOT only the Downeaster,but with Guilford trains canning due to crews hours,they need "places to park them".

Bud

#221243  by cpf354

The No. 2 main track at North Berwick, which ran eastward from CPF233 to CPF232 was taken out of service around the time of the beginning of the Downeaster service. It was replaced by a new No 2 main track at Wells, which runs eastward from CPF228 to CPF226.
The only No 2 main track that Doweasters run through on that I know of is between Ocean Park and Surf (CPF209-CPF211). I've heard trains 689 and 688 meet on weekend evenings at Newfields West(CPF258), but 689 only enters the CS one train length and then reverses direction through the interlocking after 688 clears.