Railroad Forums 

• The Hejaz Railway

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#209538  by Aa3rt

Mr. Matthews, Thanks for the update! I posted a thread regarding this railway back in July of last (2005) year. Follow the link:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16021

At the bottom of the thread is a link to a website dedicated to the Hejaz Railway. Some of the locomotives damaged during the first World War are still in shops awaiting repair so I'd say that it is highly unlikely that the railway will rebuilt anytime soon.
Last edited by Aa3rt on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#209546  by george matthews

Aa3rt wrote:Mr. Matthews, Thanks for the update! I posted a thread regarding this railway back in July of last (2005) year. Follow the link:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16021

At the bottom of the thread is a link to a website dedicated to the Hejaz Railway. Some of the locomotives damaged during the first World War are still in shops awaiting repair so I'd say that it is highly unliely that the railway will rebuilt anytime soon.
When I was in Saudi at various times the government used to talk abut rebuilding the line. 20 years have gone by and nothing has been done. They also have grandiose plans for lines across the Kingdom and from Jeddah to Madinah. But nothing happens.

#209579  by David Benton

quite ironic really , in a country where princes ride around in silverplated porsches , they cant find the money to rebuild the railway .
Probably the best hope is for steam enthusiasts from some other country will adopt it , but i guess thats unlikely too , given the regions instability .

#209809  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:quite ironic really , in a country where princes ride around in silverplated porsches , they cant find the money to rebuild the railway .
Probably the best hope is for steam enthusiasts from some other country will adopt it , but i guess thats unlikely too , given the regions instability .
I think most of the track is still the German track that was originally laid. It would need to be renewed all the way. That costs money. It is impossible to do anything inside Saudi as the immigration laws are so fierce. All the foreigners living in Saudi have to carry passes and are monitored all the time.

In any case if the line is revived it ought to be regauged to Standard gauge. Its main use would be freight from Europe, through Turkey and Syria as well as Jordan to the Saudi industrial port at Yanbu on the Red Sea. Pilgrim passengers to Madinah would not be the main business. Indeed, as Saudi immgration controls are so rigorous I would not expect any passenger traffic to cross the border.