Railroad Forums 

• The Future in Palmer, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#159122  by w.r.branch

Many of you already know a lot about Palmer, the "Town of Seven Railroads". I'd like to tell you more about plans to put Palmer in the spotlight for railroad activity, and what's already happening.

Palmer is already a hotspot for train watching. The owners of the Steaming Tender Restaurant in the station are agressively working to re-create the atmosphere and grandeur of this beautiful example of HH Richardson architecture. Railfans are always welcome on the property. On this past Saturday, a large group from the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts were hosted for a "Picnic at Palmer". The dining is take-out for now, but interior dining, banquet and pub style are not far away. It was recently featured on the show "Phantom Gourmet". (The NEC even parked a unit at the station for the taping!)

The Palmer Public Library on Main Street features a lonnnng operating G-scale railroad in the children's section. The kids, young and older, love it! The library is also home for a "Railroad Research Room" with a growing collection. On display are the original cast iron "PALMER" station sign, the "THREE RIVERS" sign from the Athol Branch station, marker lamps from the Central Vermont business car "Essex" and others. There is a huge medallion outside the library featuring the seven railroads. The medallion matches seven individual cast iron medallions embedded in the sidewalks on Main Street. The library has a Railroad Advisory Board of several members. The library on it's own is a beautiful work of art.

Businesses in town have adopted railroad themes. "Depot Plaza" is one. Another is "Flamingo Motorsports" in the former Mass Central offices. The building is styled like a HH Richardson. The designers adapted the look working from photos of the Framingham station. The showroom has an operating G-scale system featuring custom decorated cars for several makers of recreational vehicles.

Santa Trains are making a comeback. Last December's event drew a huge crowd.

During the MBRE visit, a Railroad Archeological and Historical Tour was tested for the first time showing at least 30 points of interest in many obscure places throughout Palmer's villages. A simple handout was provided (They're currently available at the library and Steaming Tender) We hope to expand this brochure into something bigger.

A goal in all of this is a revitalization of Palmer as the railroad town it once was but now in a different form. We also want to coordinate every aspect of railroad cultural, business, and industrial interest. Already, the Advisory Board and the owners of the Steaming Tender are working together. We also invite you to visit and see where Palmer may be headed. And there are plenty of trains to watch!

#159510  by trainhq

So are you guys gonna get any of the trains to stop there? Looks like it should get enough ridership to
make it worthwhile.

#159593  by w.r.branch

This question comes up very often and many local residents express that wish for a passenger stop at Palmer. I'd like to see it too! But there are several elements to consider: Palmer is very close to Springfield and established service. Justification with ridership is slim although Palmer would be a better place to park your vehicle and board a train. And Palmer has the advantage of the proximity of Exit 8 on the Mass Pike. There's also the issue of locating a station given that the original station may be fully occupied by the restaurant. There would also be the problem of getting people across live track with numerous freights on the lines. The logistics with CSX operation would be difficult to work with. The Vermonter is a possibility because it has to stop anyway. Any action with the Vermonter would be more practical while it's on the NEC main across from the diamond and the station. Is it possible? I'd say "yes" but there are too many factors against it.

At this point in time we really don't know what the big picture for Palmer may be. But the elements and the assets of Palmer may shape themselves in a railroad-oriented direction. The latest trends are creating a growing interest and bringing people to Palmer. If Palmer is being marketed with these railroad themes, and with more people visiting, other markets may develop.

#159924  by BR&P

Another facet of old-time railroading preserved in Palmer - genuine hobo "jungles" just north of the diamond a few hundred yards, complete with discarded couches, makeshift canopies, and disheveled occupants lounging around guzzling from bottles at all hours of the day and night. I recently saw one of the "residents" of one of those settlements make his way across the CSX main and NECR in a most roundabout and meandering route, most of the time leaning about 45 degrees to one side or another. What was most interesting was the quart bottle firmly cradled in one arm much as a running back holds the ball while weaving his way through a defensive line. Maybe the Pats should check the guy out - he was so erratic he would have confused the heck out of a defender trying to figure which way he'd wobble next, LOL

#159964  by w.r.branch

I'd bet cooking and serving Mulligan Stew wasn't as important. There was a potentially deadly incident this past weekend with an inebriated couple who were way too close to the CSX main and an oncoming freight just west of the diamond.

#159995  by BR&P

While it was amusing to watch the guy try to navigate, we were crossing our fingers that nothing came by while he was out there. Any such tragedy is bad enough, but to get splatted in full view of the dining area would be terrible for everybody, not just the train crew and the deceased.

#161387  by w.r.branch

I don't remember how long ago this happened (maybe 10-15 years) but one such resident did not make it across the tracks between the diamond and the switch into the controlled siding. Unfortunately even many sober locals still cross the tracks as a convenience. The station owners are looking into the possibility of re-opening the stairs to Bridge Street. The old "Subway to Street" is only filled-in with stone. That would help some. That's all we'd need is to find chain link fencing put up everywhere.

#163202  by NellsChoo

Ah, this explains the odd acting locals we have seen wandering along the tracks. There are some in Ayer as well, and I don't like to be around them when I am alone...

I wonder if a train could stop at Palmer if run by either Mass Central or NECR? Would that involve trackage rights? Insurance would skyrocket, I bet.

The area is very interesting to people-watch. You see old timers looking for trains, young timers looking for trains, yuppies wondering what a train is, people there only for the food, railroad geeks running around with cameras like the one coming is the last in the world, people who lay low with very expensive looking cameras with big lenses, etc. A real slice of the population!

I hope the area picks up more and more... I also wish the rail traffic would. The last few times we visited, there wasn't much to see. I guess it is all in the timing!

Just please please please don't finish putting in that highly annoying fence!!!

Jonelle

#163510  by dcm74

Just please please please don't finish putting in that highly annoying fence!!!
The fence may be annoying but with the increased number of people visiting the station area it has become more of a necessity. While most railfans are responsible around the tracks there are more and more people who have no real concept of what a train can do. Just be thankful it's not 10 foot high chain link fence topped by razor wire.

#163514  by w.r.branch

Actually, the fence in place now looks very much like the one from pictures of the grand days of the station and park area. So historically, it's somewhat of a reproduction. I know that the owners want to see the Olmsted park restored and want to keep things as accurate as possible while remaining practical in assuring everyone's safety.

#164001  by CSX Conductor

NellsChoo wrote:Just please please please don't finish putting in that highly annoying fence!!!

I agree with the fact that the fence is probably needed to ensure safety of people trackside as many do not understand how close they get to the tracks sometimes. The railroads have to look at limiting liablity before pleasing the railfan community. Hopefully CSXT will spend the money to replace the diamond, doubt it, but if they do that would mean 40 MPH as opposed to the current restriction of 25 MPH.

By the way Nells, I think that was a great shot above....and you think you have bad timing, lol. :P

#164015  by w.r.branch

The diamond is defilitely shot! The points are well worn and one tie rod from a frog is laying on the ballast. You KNOW when an eastbound is coming. The good news is that it is expected to be replaced at the end of this month. There is a new one reportedly at the site of the old freight house waiting for installation.

I saw the station interior and main room with the owner last night and the staining is done and waiting to dry well before the polyurethane goes on. The water stains are gone and it looks as it did prior to WWII. The rear kitchen is well under construction and the owner is putting in a lot more time to have it open for October 1st when the Central Vermont Historical Society has it's convention there -- a first for the station. And while the keg of Berkshire Brewing's "Steel Rail" ran out last night, the "Gold Spike Ale" was just as good!

Phil Opielowski

#164107  by CSX Engineer 98

The Diamond to be fixed.....I will believe it when I see it. Ive been hearing that for a couple of years now. CSX "Band Aid and dont fix it unless its destroyed" polocy has hurt its operations Nation wide. As long as Speed restrictions and Slow orders keep operation flowing it "Aint happining" Ive watched the speeds drop at CP-83 from 40mph to 25mph to a shameful 10mph for over a year.
"Yesterdays Trains Tomorrow" Huh...Lucky to see it next week! As for the new Fence Im all for it. A walk across is better. But If it will keep people from crossing in front of Me and save a life Good Enough. I dont need another "Confirmed Kill"
The Station Looks Great about time he got rid of the Junk store. also heard the food was good also. hope it stays open all year long. A burger would taste great after working 10 plus hours and only getting 83 miles.

Thanks...... :wink:

#164225  by BR&P

A new diamond is indeed sitting a quarter mile east. The big question is when will it be installed.

#165869  by amymoose

If Palmer were to get a station, would this help the cause of getting an Amtrak service restore from Boston to Springfield

Wasnt this cut about 10yr ago????? due to lack of funds - I would have thought this would have been a success given the sizes of the cities of Springfield, Worcester etc - could even have done with extending to Hartford CT as getting from Hartford CT to Boston by rail is almost impossible unless you go via New Haven

What are the chances of getting this revived?????