Railroad Forums 

• The forgotten Baker estate (Ridge Hill Farms) Needham, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#147088  by mb41

During the 1880's Mr. Baker opened a 755 acre park. He had a grand hotel (Hotel Wellesley) statues from over seas, gardens, bear pits, buildings, bowling alley, two man made ponds and more. He also created a RR branch from the Charles River station off the Needham/Dover branch. If you look today where the old Chrarles River station was you can see where Mr. Bakers branch went off. Also behind the homes off Charles River road you can see the old right of way. He had one horse rail drawn stage coach running back and forth from the station to the hotel. He dided 1889 and the hotel burned 1891.
 #154491  by Cosmo

I'm somewhat familiar with that area, but refresh my memory, where exactly was the Charles River station? Where was the hotel/estate?

#155547  by mb41

Charles River Station was in the Needham section called Charles River Village off South Street and Charles River Street. If you continued down Charles River Street and crossed Central Avenue you would come to the existing Ridge Hill estate, this is what was preserved for Baker's old land. His hotel was located further down just before Frog Pond on the left side of the road, Sabrina Lake is on the right.
 #157470  by Cosmo

I've been looking at Google Earth for way too long at this area and my eyes are bugging out of my skull! But it's cool. I think I may have found the ROW to the right of and roughly parelleling Chas R. St. for a couple of miles, but I loose it before Central Ave. I have a couple of questions:
Was Ch. R. Station to the left or right (west or east) of Chs. R. Street as one looks at the map?
Am I correct in assuming that the ROW would be in the "quad" north/west of the jct of C R St and the existing RR ROW?

Just for some off topic fun, take a look at the intersection of Charles R and Central Ave. Now look NW of the intersection for a road that extends diagonaly NNW from the intersection into the Ridge Hill preserve. It's kinda faint and the first couple hundred feet are kinda obscure, but it actualy becomes more distinct as it enters the woods. This road opens into what looks like fields that widen out to the north. If you see the "D" shaped clearing with a pinkish blob (on Googleearth, at least,) near the top, you will be looking at:
an old NIKE Missile site left over from the COLD WAR! Apparently it was to protect Boston and the Technology Belt from Commies & thier mommies. I found it back in my high school days when I lived in Westwood and my 10 speed was my freedom.
Oh to have that kind of freedom now!
Pete "Cosmo" B.

#157511  by mb41

There is a natural glacier ridge running through the woods near the Nike site that leads back to the fields by the Ridge Hill house.

Now don't confude Mr. Baker's right of way with the old Needham & Natick trolley right of way. 1900-1904 (short lived trolley line) you can still find trolley bridge bases by the RR crossing at Charles River Street.

If you turned onto Charles River Street from South Street the station was on the left, the foundation is still there for that old RR station. Now look right across from the old station off towards the trees there you can see where MR. Baker's ROW went. It is all chopped up due to development, but once across Central Ave going down behind into the swampish area well behind Charles River Road you can still find the ROW.

The trolley crossed the Central Ave bridge and traveled in that corner of Dover to South Natick.