Railroad Forums 

• Take a job as a crew taxi?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#175165  by emd_SD_60

While at school today I noticed on the "job listing" bulletin board a part time job that involves transporting railroad workers. I think i'll go check it out tommorow at the career placement office. Now I don't know much about this kind of job (transporting workers), I might find out a lot more tomorrow, but does anyone have a good idea about this?

#175175  by SteelWheels21

Crew Hauler? Lots of hours, not much pay, lots of driving.

#175201  by JuKayes

Limo Driver, picks up crews that have tied up, brings fresh crews to the trains, etc..

Like SteelWheels said lots of hours, little pay, a lot of driving....

#175238  by emd_SD_60

After reading the responses, I've decided to pass this job, the pay factor is one, plus I have school to deal with... no full-time jobs for another year for me. :( Are these "crew hauler" jobs directly operated by the railroad in question (Union Pacific, this job is over in Murphysboro, close proximity to the Mt. Vernon and Chester Subs), or an independent operation? To think, when I first saw it, this could be my chance to get a job just a little more close to the rairoad industry... heck I don't think I could take it, i'd be asking the crews too much questions about their profession...lol. :P

#175263  by GOLDEN-ARM

They are private companies, contracted by the carriers to haul crews. Lot's of hours driving, for below minimum wages, once you break it down, to hours versus mileage pay. Unless you LOVE being abused, physically and mentally, RUN away from that job posting. Imagine getting something like 7 hours pay, while being away from home, for 21 hours. No joke, it's that bad. Regards :(

#175285  by slchub

Run to Burger King! They will pay you more money, give you a meal allowance, and you won't have to deal with the RR BS.

#191662  by freshmeat

RUN FORREST . . . RUN!!!!

No doubt, run. Alex's Transporation still owes a lot of drivers in my area a LOT of money. Literally weeks of pay. Of course he has his big house in Flagstaff and boat on Lake Powell, Az.

Pay is close to McDonald's (really) and the hours are better at Mickie's, unless you work in the yard.