Railroad Forums 

• Sydney's rail system criticised

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#377343  by george matthews

http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/070321/1/47ejr.html
Australia's biggest city, Sydney, has the world's worst rail system, lagging far behind international counterparts in efficiency and reliability, according to a leaked report published Wednesday.
I think that's a bit extreme. I haven't seen it for 21 years but it seemed acceptable then. It was a bit old fashioned, and passengers could stand in the open sliding doors of the older stock and enjoy the coolish breeze on hot days, but I wonder how many fell out?

Sydney is not a European city and has a different climate and history. For example it does not have the huge density of Hong Kong whose MTR wrote the report.

I can think of worse city transport experiences. For example the New York Subway is much worse than Sydney's, even though it has improved somewhat in recent years.

#377467  by David Benton

I would tend to agree with you George . I was there last year , (or was it the year before , getting old ) , and its a pretty impressive system . From what ive read however , the management of it may leave abit to be desired . But its far from been the wolrlds worst .