Railroad Forums 

• Switching from HO to N

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#6152  by mainecentral

I model HO scale, but my 10 yr. old daughter wants to switch to N scale. Any suggestions for products to STAY AWAY FROM??She doesn't need to deal wity junky equipment.

#6230  by jnewman

I would say avoid Bachmann stuff, I myself have never had a good Bachmann engine of any kind. However, some say that their current line of steam engines are decent, but I have no direct experience with them. Try before you buy, I would say.

Model Power has, of late released, a couple of steam engines, but I wasn't too happy with their 4-6-2, but I understand that they've fixed alot of the problems with them, but again, I'd have to say try before you buy, if you can.

You can't go wrong with any Kato or Atlas release from 1990-ish on (Atlas' FM Trainmaster is incredible, as is the Kato SD70MAC), and Life-Like's releases (the Alco C424 they just released is fabulous) from the past two or three years are very good as well.

If you've got loads of $$$$$ and are keen on European prototypes, many of Minitrix's post-Marklin merger items are awe-inspiring (their DB ET87 and the Rheingold set are far and away my favorite N scale models), as are releases by Fleischmann. You must beware of old Minitrix, however, which are usually OK, but not particularly inspiring.

#6384  by N-railroader

Can't leave this without comment.

-- I have a wonderful running Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8-CW!! But I did test-run
it first against 4 or 5 other ones at the store and made my pick.
Since you are in HO experienced, you should know how to make your pick.

-- Unless you are up to the challenge, don't bother about LIMA. The engines are not worth being mentioned. The old LIMA heavyweights
are better than their successors at ModelPower!
-- Minitrix steam engines from before 1990-95, depending on the model
release, are not recommended, newer ones are. Diesel- and El-loks have
been always very good, at least European prototypes. Also are their
cars. Some very nice "small" engines!!
-- Fleischmann was never bad, the only issue is that their passenger cars
have been always "high" on the rails and, for the looks, could only been
coupled to "Arnold" cars.
-- Arnold, too, made some very good steam engines in their later years,
(see Fleischmann, everything applies here as well), and some incredibly
nice sets (Henschel-Wegmann). Very nice "small" engines!!
-- Rivarossi, just like Lima, until they bought Arnold. ArnoldRivarossi,
including Limas "Minitrain" Series, can be good (ALCO S-2), some former Lima products, if fine-tuned at Arnold, too (VT08). Cars are ok.
-- Roco's European prototypes have been much better than the American
ones. Since the 80s dual flywheels. f.e., a very good line of passenger cars, which were matching perfectly with Minitrix!

:wink:

#6434  by XRails

Here is my experience with my three locos:

Life-Like GP38: Runs OK, though motor makes some funny noises when up to speed, also sports an open pilot, which can be patched with the installation of Microtrains couplers

LL SD7: Closed pilot, runs great, good detail

Con-Cor SW1500: Does not run at slow speeds, skitters, stops, and had bad detail work. Also nearly impossible to convert to DCC. Get the LL SW1500 instead.

Structures:
Walthers Cornerstone is the best in my opinion. Con-Cor is also good. I got a Model Power sawmill that was missing half of its instructions and had a badly translated decal sayng "Danger: Eye Irritation Stuff!"

Freight Cars:
I have cars from Model Power, Con-Cor, Walthers and Atlas, and I can't say much negative about any of them. Aside from that, they have dirt cheap prices for some pretty high-quality models
Last edited by XRails on Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #7412  by jmp883

:D I think you'll be very pleased switching to N. After having been in HO for many years myself, I was very pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality available in N. As stated in the previous posts, any locomotive from Kato, Atlas, or Life-Like since the 90's on is excellent quality. As for rolling stock, there is nothing better than Micro-Trains. Atlas freight cars are also pretty good. For passenger equipment, at least streamliners, Con-Cor's cars are very good.

For some inspiration, check my layout:

www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29
 #7658  by sjl

I've been in N Scale for a few decades (ouch!) and work part time in a hobby shop. My $0.02: Atlas and Kato locos are cadillacs; the fine detail and running characterisitics may be lost on a ten year old. Anything in the last few years by Life Like and Bachmann Spectrum is very good for 2/3 the price. (Half of my loco fleet is LL or Spectrum; their 2-8-0 is a dream.) I'd suggest building a small layout, 3'x6' or so, with two-train capability. Use Atlas Code 80 track components - - they are robust, and she won't have any trouble putting equipment on the rails. Start with Model Power plastic kits, and let her paint them as she likes. After she learns about glue and paint, then graduate to the Walthers or Atlas kits. She'll probably do fine with basic scenery with your help. Atlas and Walthers rolling stock can take some abuse. Micro-Trains and IM can come along later.

Also, you may be thinking, "B23-7 with four-window cab in NS black", and your daughter may be thinking, "gee, that's a pretty purple engine. What does ACL stand for?"

Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

Ron
 #8757  by alco-holic

I own a Bachman 2-8-0 steamer and it runs super great, I'll be getting another soon. Lifelike loco's run very well, and are less expensive than either Atlas or Kato. These las two are the best runners. I'd buy diesels for her first power.
You'll get all kinds of advice, so see if you can watch an N scale layout in operation and see what you like prior to committing your hard earned dollars.

Alco-holic

#9444  by SLR 393

If you are just doing a small N layout, go Atlas, Kato, Intermountain for long term reliability and quality. Nice Stuff. The IM FT set (B&M!) is nice, super heavy, tracks well, lots of power, not a lot of detail to get broken off.

#10789  by mainecentral

I would like to thank everyone for thier input,(I should say that my Daughter is TURNING 10 on 4/18, and she's switching to N then.) I took the advice of a few of you and bought a Bachmann Spectrum kit that has a 2-8-0 in it , I also got her an Atlas SD-35 B&O (because she thinks Chessie is "TOO COOL!"). Tested the Atlas AT the store, and it ran really well (a little noisy, but very well!), hope the same goes for the Bachmann. Once again, THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT!!!!!
 #10791  by mainecentral

sjl wrote:I've been in N Scale for a few decades (ouch!) and work part time in a hobby shop. My $0.02: Atlas and Kato locos are cadillacs; the fine detail and running characterisitics may be lost on a ten year old. Anything in the last few years by Life Like and Bachmann Spectrum is very good for 2/3 the price. (Half of my loco fleet is LL or Spectrum; their 2-8-0 is a dream.) I'd suggest building a small layout, 3'x6' or so, with two-train capability. Use Atlas Code 80 track components - - they are robust, and she won't have any trouble putting equipment on the rails. Start with Model Power plastic kits, and let her paint them as she likes. After she learns about glue and paint, then graduate to the Walthers or Atlas kits. She'll probably do fine with basic scenery with your help. Atlas and Walthers rolling stock can take some abuse. Micro-Trains and IM can come along later.

Also, you may be thinking, "B23-7 with four-window cab in NS black", and your daughter may be thinking, "gee, that's a pretty purple engine. What does ACL stand for?"

Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

Ron
Thanks, Ron,thought you'd like to know that she helped build her HO (4'x8') layout, and has learned a lot about the glues and things. As a matter of fact she has a great eye for detail, making suggestions to me that made me re-think the way I had things planned. I think the layout came out MUCH better with her input. Thanks for the hint on the ACL B23-7, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one!!!
 #12135  by mainecentral

jmp883 wrote::D I think you'll be very pleased switching to N. After having been in HO for many years myself, I was very pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality available in N. As stated in the previous posts, any locomotive from Kato, Atlas, or Life-Like since the 90's on is excellent quality. As for rolling stock, there is nothing better than Micro-Trains. Atlas freight cars are also pretty good. For passenger equipment, at least streamliners, Con-Cor's cars are very good.

For some inspiration, check my layout:

jmp883, After looking at your layout pics, I went to my LHS and bought a piece of flextrack, which I tacked to a strip of 3/4" plywood. Then I(please don't tell on me :D ) borrowed the power-pack from the kit she's getting for her birthday, and ran the SD-35 back and forth, amazed at the less than a snail's pace speeds I was able to get! That's not what I'm used to in HO scale(they can go pretty slow, but my HO controller won't let them go THAT SLOW!!) So, to make a short story long, I went out today and put $40.00 down on an N scale loco for ME(Gee, I hope she'll let me use her layout! LOL) Now I'm........ Dual Guaged???
 #12160  by jmp883

Mainecentral,

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself with N-scale! It is pretty amazing the speed control you can get with N locos. I use 2 MRC Tech II 2500 power packs and when switching the yard I can CREEP up on a freight car and make the most gentle coupling, barely moving the freight car at all. I don't even use the pulse power option on the packs, that's how well the engines handle.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL (D&H, NYS&W, and LV)!

#12183  by Otto Vondrak

Noooo! NO! Don't do it!! Nooooo!! Dont cross over to the dark side!!

Well... living in an apartment now, I've been eyeing up those sets from Kato... two RDC's and a loop of Unitrack... or an F7 and some frieght cars... all for $150 (in most hobby shops)... I get tempted. Verrrrry tempted. You cant go wrong with Kato, and the bundled price is a bargain.

http://www.katousa.com/

Look for "N Scale F3 Train Sets"

-otto-

#12377  by mainecentral

Thanks Guys!!, I'll let you know what SHE thinks of N scale, after this coming weekend(Sunday's her b-day), once she's had a chance to try it out :D ! I think she'll love it :wink: !! C U Later

#13430  by NJT4207

With all the improvements in N in the last 10 years,you'll be happy that you made the right choice.If just for space,you can do so much.