Railroad Forums 

• Subway-Surface platforms

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#88933  by SPUI

Where in relation to the tracks are the platforms at Juniper/13th and 33rd?

#88949  by Umblehoon

next to them

#89101  by walt

All of the subway surface platforms are ground level. I don't recall whether or not there are curbs at track-side.

#89136  by glennk419

walt wrote:All of the subway surface platforms are ground level. I don't recall whether or not there are curbs at track-side.
I believe all of the Subway Surface platforms in the tunnel are slightly above roadbed level, typically 4-6" or about standard sidewalk height. Obviously the surface loading areas are at street level.

#89178  by SPUI

Er, I'm an idiot. I was asking which side of the tracks they're on, but didn't realize that the cars only have right-side doors.

#89188  by Mdlbigcat

SPUI wrote:Er, I'm an idiot. I was asking which side of the tracks they're on, but didn't realize that the cars only have right-side doors.

Methinks you're from Boston, with those Green Line platforms all over the place.

#89210  by walt

That would make sense--- IIRC, the Boston PCC cars, used in their subway, had left and right hand doors.

#89484  by R3 Rider

glennk419 wrote:I believe all of the Subway Surface platforms in the tunnel are slightly above roadbed level, typically 4-6" or about standard sidewalk height. Obviously the surface loading areas are at street level.
I'm just eyeballing it, but it looks like the loading areas at 15th Street, and at 13th & Juniper are lower than that, maybe 2-3". They certainly seem to be a lot lower than the platforms at 19th, 22nd, 30th, and 33rd.