Railroad Forums 

• Student chronicles SEPTA rail lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1640525  by bellstbarn

Similar to what Geoff Marshall has done in Ireland and the United Kingdom, Rose Cohen is traveling SEPTA rail, describing the stations she visits in alphabetical order! It is an interesting blog. See https://billypenn.com/2024/03/13/every- ... ion-visit/
---
Might someone explain the mixture of operation at high platforms and low platforms on Regional Rail? It would seem to require alert conductors and agile passengers.
 #1640633  by ExCon90

In many cases the installation of high platforms has been accompanied by a do-over of the entire station, including a rather substantial station building and of course ADA. I don't know what the selection criteria are -- maybe ridership?

Trivia question: what was the earliest station in SEPTA territory (excluding Amtrak stops) to get high-level platforms? I know Chelten Ave. and CHW go back a ways, North Philadelphia had them in the 1940's, and 30th St. had them when the two levels opened in 1930 and 1933. (For some reason Johnstown got one at some point.)
 #1641480  by MACTRAXX

BSB, EC90 and Everyone: This chronicle of visiting every SEPTA Regional Rail station is interesting...
Over time I have ridden all of SEPTA's RRD and as example learned about destinations that one can visit
on the various routes such as Ambler Borough - which is one of the best RDG side towns for amenities...

I would try to attempt a quest such as this by first picking up a full set of RRD printed schedules...
Traveling the entire length of the RRD routes is how I have found worthwhile places to stop over...
This should be done before the determination to make intermediate stops on RRD routes...

A thought is to dedicate station stops to a single line/route at a time instead of traveling to stations in a
alphabetically manner which could save considerable travel time depending on where the "next" station
turns out to be especially if they are a long distance apart on another RRD line...

I would have purchased a Zone 3 Legacy Pass (Remember them?) for something like this with the only
restriction being that they would require an extra intermediate fare to/from Zones 4 and NJ during the
AM Peak hours (before 10 AM) TO Center City - and the PM Peak hours between 4 and 7 PM FROM CCP
on weekdays...At all other times Zone 3 passes offered Anywhere privileges on RRD to all destinations...
For those unaware SEPTA Weekly and Monthly Legacy Passes once allowed unlimited use anytime...

With the SEPTA Key there is the 240 ride Monthly ride cap and 56 ride Weekly ride cap that one must
watch since ALL rides no matter what type and cost are going to add up towards a ride total...

I would do the SEPTA Rail Transit routes outside RRD separately by studying the printed MFSE, BSL
NHSL, 101, 102, 10, 11, 13, 15, 34 and 36 (Trolley) routes using a Zone 1 Trailpass - which will cover
all of these routes in their entirity at all times - and allows RRD travel to all points within the City of
Philadelphia during off-peak weekday hours (Zones 2 or 3) and Zone 1 and CCP stations anytime...

The 10 ride limit on the one-day Flex Passes are another problem riding RRD remembering that the
Legacy Independence Passes once offered unlimited rides for daily use making them much more
flexible depending on where and how that they were used (discontinued in 2020) for riding...

Answering the SEPTA High-level platform trivia question: WARMINSTER was the first SEPTA RRD
station to have a high-level platform back in 1974 on the Reading side when the line was extended
one station from Hatboro across the Montgomery-Bucks County line to the then-new park/ride...
Hard to believe that Warminster Station is 50 years old this year...MACTRAXX