Railroad Forums 

• Stuck on a train vs. stuck at the airport

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1588965  by Ken W2KB

Back, some time in the early 1980's, I traveled early in the mid-morning on an Amtrak Metroliner from Newark, NJ to Washington, DC for my employer to file a very important document with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The weather forecast for DC was 6 to 8 inches of snow, and being from NJ, I thought ho-hum, no big deal. I arrived at DC only to find that all federal offices, including the SEC were closed for the day, as was the Metro subway. I took a cab, there being no Metro service, to the Sheraton Park Hotel, where my employer had a permanent suite, to await DC reopening the next day. I listened to the news on the AM radio in the suite, and heard from time to time a public service announcement. The gist was 'Metro is seeking people who would like to earn a good pay for the day to shovel snow on Metro tracks and station areas. You must bring your own snow shovel. Contact Metro at this phone number for assignment . . .' Incredible and hilarious to this day.
 #1588973  by STrRedWolf

Ken W2KB wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:45 pm Back, some time in the early 1980's, I traveled early in the mid-morning on an Amtrak Metroliner from Newark, NJ to Washington, DC for my employer to file a very important document with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The weather forecast for DC was 6 to 8 inches of snow, and being from NJ, I thought ho-hum, no big deal. I arrived at DC only to find that all federal offices, including the SEC were closed for the day, as was the Metro subway. I took a cab, there being no Metro service, to the Sheraton Park Hotel, where my employer had a permanent suite, to await DC reopening the next day. I listened to the news on the AM radio in the suite, and heard from time to time a public service announcement. The gist was 'Metro is seeking people who would like to earn a good pay for the day to shovel snow on Metro tracks and station areas. You must bring your own snow shovel. Contact Metro at this phone number for assignment . . .' Incredible and hilarious to this day.
Yeah. the threshold of closure is about 6 inches of snow forcasted. I bet NJ Transit has a few snow-plow train cars, but WMATA doesn't... although now they'll run inside-only service as proven in the 2010 "Snowmageddon" storm that dumped 3 feet in the DC/MD/VA area.