• Stourbridge Railroad (Honesdale-Lackawaxen) and Proposals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by hsr_fan

That's not the bridge right by the library, is it?

by SemperFidelis

No, it's the next bridge to the east. If you drive to the end of Paupack Street, you should be able to park and walk to the remains.

by hsr_fan

I took the fall foliage excursion way back in October 2000 (can't believe how long ago that was!). My favorite part of the ride was from Hawley to Lackawaxen, so I hope they get that section of the line back in service!

by blockline4180

They will, hopefully before the year is out.. From what I was told it could be in service by late October at the earliest. They actually want to run dinner trains on the line as well as other themed trains and maybe a railfan days next year..

I rode the whole line in the summer of 2000 or 2001. My ex-girlfriend and I took the train to Lackawaxen then we went tubing along the Delaware and had a BBQ lunch in the pavilion... That was a pretty fun outing and a very scenic excursion!
  by SecaucusJunction

I was reading on one of the yahoo lists that there is now an ethanol plant proposed for somewhere on this line. I looked through several articles and they were all giving different information about the project and how it would relate to rail. Does anyone here think that rail would be used to either transport raw materials or finished product?

Also, what other customers are proposed for this line?

by RichM

You might be better served posting in the Pennsylvania forum...

by SecaucusJunction

Leave me alone... the possible freight for this line will spend most of its time in New York State.

by RichM

Ah yes, that superior intelligence strikes again...

All I was trying to tell you is if you search you'll see the topic was covered recently in the Pennsylvania Forum, where both the line and the customers are.

But I'll leave you alone. I'm sure you'll find the answers you're looking for this way.

by Otto Vondrak

Normally I would handle something like this off-list...
Leave me alone... the possible freight for this line will spend most of its time in New York State.
Leave you alone? Why so rude, SJ? Rich only suggested you try posting in the Pennsylvania Railfan Forum becuase the majority of this line runs in that state. Rich was kind enough to turn the other cheek and help you with your research anyway. Consider this a warning.

-=otto-

by SemperFidelis

From Wayne County EDC:

HAWLEY RAILROAD BRIDGE REPAIR FUNDS TOTAL $1.583 MILLION January 2008 - Wayne Industrial Development Authority (WIDA), owner of the damage railroad bridge in Hawley, was recently notified by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) that $703,278 in federal aid has been approved for its repair. FEMA monies will supplement an $880,000 grant from the PA Dept. of Community and Economic Development and allow for full restoration of the bridge. Currently, bids are being prepared, and construction is expected to start this Spring.

The bridge is the last part of the rail line that needs to be restored because of the extensive flooding that swept through northeastern Pennsylvania almost two years ago. Construction should be completed by summer and the rail line will again be open from Honesdale to Lackawaxen.

Special thanks must go to our Federal legislators, who were instrumental in obtaining FEMA approval.

by thebigham

Great news!

Thanks,

Chris

by oibu

2 years ago? Try going on 4!
  by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
This was sent to me in an E-mail tonight.
Len.

The Stourbridge Railroad will be holding its First Annual Railfan Day on Saturday, September 20th, 2008.

Cost will be $100.00 and will include TWO round trips with a mixed-train from Honesdale, PA to Lackawaxen, PA (one in daylight and one at night) and a box lunch. This will include a special freight consist and the regular passenger consist. We will offer a single roundtrip (either AM or PM for $50.00). All trips will feature multiple Photo Stops and Runbys. The PM trips (limited to 50 participants) will feature Night Lighting at various locations. (Camera capable of shooting on a "B" setting without flash, Tripod, Cable Release, and a flashlight required).

The Stourbridge Railroad rosters one of only 2 operating EMD Model BL-2 Diesel Locomotive. (Ex BAR 54). Our second unit will be an ex MEC GP-7. There may be some other locos available to us.

Tickets are available through the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce, 32 Commercial Street, Honesdale, PA 18431
Cash, Check, or Credit Cards are accepted.

For Reservations ONLY, call 570-253-1960 or 800-433-9008

For all other inquiries, PLEASE Write to : Central Pennsylvania Rail Corp, 200 Center Street, Tamaqua, PA 18252.

All sales final, Reservations Required for the PM (Night Photo train), no alcoholic beverages allowed on the train, all excursions are subject to operating conditions and are subject to change without notice.

by thebigham

SemperFidelis wrote:No, it's the next bridge to the east. If you drive to the end of Paupack Street, you should be able to park and walk to the remains.
Using Live Search Maps, you can easily see the washed out bridge.