Railroad Forums 

• Stourbridge Railroad (Honesdale-Lackawaxen) and Proposals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#420552  by oibu

Anybody hear or see anything more on the washout/bridge repairs? I thought that was all supposed to be happening this summer?

#420822  by SemperFidelis

Nothing as of last weekend. Saw the BL2 returning to the engine house, and was surprised to see some boxcars spotted at a demolition re-use store that had not been there the last time I was. Since the bridge is still clearly out, I suppose the boxcars had been hidden out of view somewhere along the line and were moved to the store to be used for storage space.

#421037  by SemperFidelis

From the Wayne County EDC Website:

June 2007--The L-H Shippers Assoc. has repaired all the wash-outs along the rail line caused by the 2005 and 2006 floods. WIDA (Wayne Industrial Development Authority) remains committed to repairing the damaged rail trestle at the south end of Hawley. The Authority’s appeal to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) was rejected at the regional level, and a second appeal – to the Washington office – was prepared and submitted on May 23. Throughout the process, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) has supported WIDA’s position, contending that all elements of the project are eligible for FEMA funding.

In the meantime, engineering work continues. Test borings at the site have yielded good results, i.e., solid rock foundation under the existing bridge. The design is expected to be complete by mid-summer. A contingency design is also being prepared should the project not receive federal funding.
 #423532  by Otto Vondrak

I took a ride on the Stourbridge Railroad from Honesdale to Hawley and back this weekend. The BL-2 was up and running and sounding sweet! Of course, the BL-2 is not a pretty locomotive, but the fact that I know of only three left in the country, it was a treat to see this rare engine- in running condition and hauling passengers, no less! Built in 1949, SBRR 54 was built as BAR 554. Since the bridge washout in 2005, the now isolated 54 provides the sole power for all excursions. There has been no interchange freight since 2005, but from what I understand, the bridge is being repaired and they hope to resume freight service in 2008.

The ride to and from was smooth and pleasant, good train handling by the engineer. We never crept above 15 mph, but for a liesurely excursion, this was no problem. The entire trip had a Wild West robbery theme to it, which the children on board seemed to enjoy! I tuned it all out, I was enjoying the ride. I was warming the cushions in an ex-DLW MU car (one of three) and there was also an ex-CNJ coach in the mix as well.

The SBRR crew was courteous and helpful at all times. The ride to Hawley allowed us to have about a 45 minute layover, which was plenty of time to get something to eat and to walk around and check out the shops on the main drag.

The Stourbridge is worth a trip if you're looking for a pleasant day trip, or just want to see a rare diesel in action.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#423538  by cjvrr

Otto,

How many people would you estimate to be on the train?

I co-cordinated a motorcar trip on that line a number of years ago and was happy with the attendees reactions to the abundant scenery and good track conditions. Will be nice once reopened to Lackawaxen.

Did you get to see the Stourbridge Lion in the museum or the gravity RR car in Hawley?

Chris

#423897  by Otto Vondrak

I'm going to estimate that there was about 275-300 people on the train. I didn't look for the Lion or the gravity car when I was out there, maybe on my next trip. I'm also looking forward to the entire line reopening!

-otto-

#423963  by Otto Vondrak

There is an orange NYGL hi-rail truck parked at the Honesdale enginehouse. When I inquired what it was there for, no one seemed to know.The two NYGL engines and passenger cars are on the interchange at Lackawaxen. When I inquired about the bridge, I was told work was beginning on repairs. The excursion operators would like to return to Lackawaxen for fall foliage tours, but that is pending adequate inspections of the tracks.

The BL-2 was running fine when I saw it, no more fires.

-otto-

#424090  by JhnZ33

You can't miss the gravity car, it's basically right on the main road (route 6) in town under a pavillion type structure. Very hard to miss.

#424318  by oibu

Never mind FEMA- just send the invoice to PP&L, whose actions caused the bridge to wash out in the first place as I understand it (by dumping a massive quantity of water out of Lake Wallenpaupack in the middle of the flood; OK, never mind poor planning- even if it did need to be done to prevent a breach or overflow, it seems that this should be a case of PP&L pays for the repairs, and then -PP&L- goes to FEMA looking for reimbursement; not a case of PP&L saying "yeah, sorry 'bout that... maybe FEMA can help ya'll out?").

I'm sure they already tried that option...but it's still frustrating to see a responsible party left off the hook, as appears to be the case.

#424452  by Otto Vondrak

Yes, it was PPL that defied the orders of the government NOT to release the water that wiped out the bridge... in fact, its been the legal process to make PPL pay for the damages that has held up the whole process...

-otto-

#424492  by oibu

That's good... the summary above kind of left the implication that it was a matter of the Authority chasing down FEMA funding if they could get it. I still don't fully see how FEMA fits into the equation though, unless it's a matter of the deal with PP&L being that PP&L will pay as long as they get FEMA funding? I still don't quite see how PP&L is paying if the Authority is still looking for FEMA funding for it?

#424747  by Ken W2KB

Otto Vondrak wrote:Yes, it was PPL that defied the orders of the government NOT to release the water that wiped out the bridge... in fact, its been the legal process to make PPL pay for the damages that has held up the whole process...

-otto-
Hi Otto. Do you know which government agency issued the order? Just curious, having seen the floods on the Delaware.

#425041  by hsr_fan

Where exactly is the bridge that was washed out? How far from downtown Hawley?

#425139  by oibu

Right in town, on the east side, where Paupack creek flows into the Lackawaxen River.