Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #268103  by DonPevsner

(1)What is the current status of this branch, please?

(2)If portions are still alive, who is operating them?

(3)Whatever happened to the large PRR bridge on this line over the Youghiogheny River at Connellsville, PA, which I saw in the mid-1960's?
 #268689  by Ralph D Kautz

The old Southwest Branch or the PRR is still pretty much in tact between the two cities you mentioned.The FayWest Corp,a combination of Westmoreland Conty and Fayette County now own the branch.When I last Checked it was hauling coal from the Bullskin mine and servicing Sony's plant at New Stanton Pa.I also heard or read where the railroad was installing an intermodel terminal .Youngwood yard is no more the roundhouse is gone,but the passanger station in Youngwood is a museum and Hobby Shop(guess what it sells).The branch now does its connecting with the Norfolksouthern Pittsburgh Main Line via the Radenba Branch which joins the old Southwest Branch at County Home Junction.Hopes this helps I grew up near Irwin Pa and I rode the West Penn to Greensburg and have been through Youngwood many a time but have not been back in 12 Years since my mother passed on.Dan

#278232  by SWBranch

Don:

I've been gathering information to model portions of the Southwest branch in O scale. The bridge across the Youghiogheny river was taken out a while ago. Probably the early 1980's. It was there when I rode the Chessie Safety Express through Connellsville but don't reacll the year. I'm always looking for information on the branch line.