Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#824996  by rhodiecub2

There's a few stations on the MBTA that have no free transfer between the inbound and outbound platforms. I was wondering if there any stations on the MTA subway that no free transfer between inbound and outbound platforms?
 #825150  by Allan

rhodiecub2 wrote:There's a few stations on the MBTA that have no free transfer between the inbound and outbound platforms. I was wondering if there any stations on the MTA subway that no free transfer between inbound and outbound platforms?

There are plenty of stations on the NYC subway that do not have free transfers (crossovers) between the uptown and downtown platforms. I would say that the majority of the stations that are side platform were not designed with crossovers in mind. The idea being that if someone was going to a station why would they then need to go in the other direction?
There have been situations where crossovers were added much later on as free transfers to other lines near a particular station were created such as 51St/Lex Av)

Examples:

Lexington Av Line (4,5,6)

Spring Street
Astor Place (there was one here decades ago but it was closed off)
23rd St
28th St
33rd St
77th St
86th St
110th St
116th St

Pelham Bay line (6)
Brook Av
Cypress Av
E143rd St
E149th St
Longwood Av

7th Av/Lenox Line (2, 3)
145th St (3)
135th St
125th St
116th St

Broadway Line (1)
86th St
77th St
50th St

I could go on and on and on but this is enough for now.
 #825646  by Passenger

I remember this one. Why was it closed?

Was it closed in such a way as to make reopening it possible?
 #825711  by Allan

Passenger wrote:
I remember this one. Why was it closed?

Was it closed in such a way as to make reopening it possible?

It was closed for "security reasons", meaning that there were a number of crimes committed over the years (this was way before cameras as a viable method of keeping an eye on things in the subway).

I suppose the concrete coverings could be dug up but who knows if the stairs are still there or what condition the underpass is in. Besides I don't think there would be that many people who would have a need to use it these days (I am not sure that many people used it back when it was open).
 #825905  by railfan365

There are other "under the tracks" transfer tunnels that have been closed fue to concerns about crime. There's one at the 23rd Street statoin on the Broadway Local (BMT). And there are to underpasses at the 23rd Street stop on the 8th Avenue - one that's open and one that's been closed for decades.
 #829258  by Trainmaster5

There was a crossover at the north end of the IND Nostrand Ave A/C station. That end also had an entramce at the corner of Bedford Ave and Fulton St. It was also closed for" security reasons".
 #832043  by Tony Clifton

There are many instances with Subway Stations that have no free transfers from one side to the other, so many that it will be time consuming to make such a list. Maybe you could contact Darius McCollum since he has nothing better to do.
 #832330  by Trainmaster5

Tony Clifton wrote:There are many instances with Subway Stations that have no free transfers from one side to the other, so many that it will be time consuming to make such a list. Maybe you could contact Darius McCollum since he has nothing better to do.
I thought he was doing consultant work on the Second Avenue subway these days. Wait, maybe that was LIRR ESA design, LOL.
 #840301  by darthdoosh

Tony Clifton wrote:There are many instances with Subway Stations that have no free transfers from one side to the other, so many that it will be time consuming to make such a list. Maybe you could contact Darius McCollum since he has nothing better to do.
Snap.

Conversely, I find it interesting how when I exit the 7 at 45th road, I can stay in the area for a while and then get right back on with the Metrocard transfer. I assume this will be nixed once the physical transfer they're working on is competed. (If not already, I haven't been out that way in over a month. Doubt it, y'know, being the MTA though.)
 #842746  by nomis

The MTA publishes this list along with their developer info for stations that have/does not have crossover capabilities, even down to the detail of headhouse ... that may be an avenue to find what you are looking for.

ED, spelling.