Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1585370  by WhartonAndNorthern

And where have you ever found such a device? You want something to block traffic normally and then lift up to allow a train to pass? What if they don't lift? That's a piece of wood or fiberglass getting flung at 35 mph.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to see reflectors, Botts dots, holograms (in the future) or even a projection on a water curtain but I don't forsee physical barriers that could interfere with the trains.
 #1585385  by STrRedWolf

WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:47 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:04 pm

Over-track crossing arms with reflective tape would actually work in this case. It would significantly reduce the number of cars stopping on the tracks. You'll still get the odd drunk moron, but I'm not seeing a bar east along route 54.
And where have you ever found such a device? You want something to block traffic normally and then lift up to allow a train to pass? What if they don't lift? That's a piece of wood or fiberglass getting flung at 35 mph.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to see reflectors, Botts dots, holograms (in the future) or even a projection on a water curtain but I don't forsee physical barriers that could interfere with the trains.
rcthompson04 wrote:Ashland is an interesting problem. Would NEC style gates from up in Connecticut work?
Can you pinpoint an example crossing, Mr. Thompson?

That said, we need something at eye level of an average car to reflect. The easiest would be two crossing gate arms that raise when the road-way gates are closing. If they malfuction? Well, that should be easy to detect and warn trains on, but then... as you say, it's a lightweight piece of wood/fiberglass/aluminum, and you can design it to break off and be restrained from flinging out via cables or chains.

If they removed the long turn lane, then first try adding reflectors to demark a blocked lane on the tracks. If people keep running over them and making a left turn where they shouldn't, then put in the gates.
 #1585386  by west point

What works fairly well here is a traffic light with a red arrow. Mainly used for right turns here but can not see why a constant left red arrow would work ? Maybe a straight ahead green arrow as well ?
 #1585441  by STrRedWolf

Same deal: Reflectors mid-lane and along the edges of the lane. They get a visual reminder not to turn left on the tracks. If they do, it's a sobriety test because they gotta be drunk.

It that doesn't work, we go with cross arms and stiffer penalties.
 #1585464  by Ken W2KB

WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:47 pm And where have you ever found such a device? You want something to block traffic normally and then lift up to allow a train to pass? What if they don't lift? That's a piece of wood or fiberglass getting flung at 35 mph.
Hmmm. Drawbridges over rivers coupled with significant tidal currents as well. Large vessel approaches and bridge unable to open, vessel swept by water flow to collision with bridge. :wink:
 #1587002  by Arlington

^ Is this a better location than Michigan Central?
 #1587031  by STrRedWolf

It's near city center in the "Tech Town" area and has a light rail stop next to it.

Considering the existing station and the available areas around it... yes, redevelopment would be worth it.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ebar=false has some ideas.
 #1587048  by Gilbert B Norman

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:25 am https://youtu.be/xjDbelE9tPc
Mr. Scratchy, first I must wonder how long it took to notify the CSX Train Dispatcher. I assume such was before the towing company and the cops showed up.

Secondly, it's happened to me!

During January '20, I was almost back to Miami Central on a Brightline joyride, when in the Wynwood community, someone had done just that!!!!!

It probably was largely cleared up, as our delay was only about 20min.
 #1587077  by Pensyfan19

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:44 am It's near city center in the "Tech Town" area and has a light rail stop next to it.

Considering the existing station and the available areas around it... yes, redevelopment would be worth it.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ebar=false has some ideas.
A proper station in Detroit has to have at least 4 tracks accessible by at least two island platforms. The more we build small stations with low capacity for trains, the less likely rail transport will be seen as viable in terms of capacity and frequency increase.
 #1587132  by electricron

Pensyfan19 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:33 pm A proper station in Detroit has to have at least 4 tracks accessible by at least two island platforms. The more we build small stations with low capacity for trains, the less likely rail transport will be seen as viable in terms of capacity and frequency increase.
Why? What is your logic? How many trains do you think will visit Detroit?
Before we should even start discussing having more than 2 platforms and two tracks, Detroit is going to need local commuter rail trains. None are being planned, so why build a larger station than needed?
 #1587470  by STrRedWolf

Bloomberg: D.C.’s Union Station Faces Foreclosure on $330 Million Mortgage
The operator of Washington, D.C.’s Union Station faces a foreclosure sale in January, according to a filing Wednesday by the trustee of the building’s $330 million mortgage.

The property, operated by New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., stopped making payments in May 2020, after citing the impact of Covid-19 on its ability to pay. The property was valued at $1.24 billion according to a 2017 appraisal. Ben Ashkenazy, chief executive and chairman of the company, didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment in a message left with his assistant.
Ashkenazy has a lease that expires in 2084. The U.S. government owns the site.
So if it defaults and nobody bids on it... does it mean Amtrak's gotta run a mall?
 #1587599  by orulz

In Raleigh they are getting set to start building a complex with a new bus hub and retail on the ground floor, a substantial parking facility next, and a 34 story residential tower/14 story hotel tower on top. This will be next to Union Station, and attached to it with a bridge over the tracks.

https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core. ... 2-2021.pdf

They got some federal grants for the bus hub portion and are therefore moving forward quickly.

It's called "RUS BUS" - Raleigh Union Station Bus terminal.