Railroad Forums 

• Starting a career questions (Canada)

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1259803  by kylejs

Hi,

I am interested in starting a career on the tracks. My main goal is to become a train engineer. I have read a lot on the internet about the job, what it requires, etc etc, and I really want to get started. I;m just not exactly sure the best way to go about it.

I am 20 years old and live in Ottawa. I know I have to work as a conductor/other part of a company before I can apply for engineering but how do I start? Do I simply take a course like the one at George brown college (http://www.georgebrown.ca/T151-2013-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and then simply lookand apply? Or is there anything else?

I'm just scared ill pay the money and take the course and then be stuck with nothing. Sorry if this is a stupid post I'm just looking for someone with experience to put me on the right track(hehe)

Thanks!
 #1260129  by Engineer Spike

Just try to hire out. If you have a decent work history, and no serious criminal background, you have a chance.

Try to work a job where safety is critical, like construction. Join the Army for an enlistment. Someone suggested becoming a volunteer firefighter.

These schools are of dubious value. Some railways prefer to train their own methods. Either you have the ability to become a railroader or not.
 #1260783  by mdr406

If you feel confident, build a good resume and apply for the position.

I agree with the his response. College is always good because it shows that you are competent and intelligent, and still working to continually improve yourself. College also shows commitment. Unlike high school, people go to college because they want to, not because they have to. If you can follow through and complete your degree or certificate program, it is always a good thing. However experience, history, and safety is just as important. If you have a lot of education, but have killed like 7 people on various jobs while on cocaine, I doubt that you would get hired.

I made sure that my resume was very specific about certain things such as a perfect safety record, relevant experience, and my goals with the company. I did include a copy of my Associates Degree college transcripts, but they seemed to pay more attention to the safety and work record. I also included some letters of recommendation, one from a manager I work for to show that I am a great worker, and a letter from a PhD Lead Professor at the college that I attend to show that I am a good learner.

Also, it is true that a lot of railroads do provide their own training. Most of their positions require little to no experience, as they will provide the necessary training- both formal and OTJ.

Good Luck!
 #1261076  by supernova1972

Don't apply for the course, it's a waste. Work a job with odd hours or lots of overtime and maintain a great safety record. That shows them more than any vocational school or college can. And just FYI being an engineer isn't engineering, engineering on the railroad is the division that covers track and signal work.
 #1268996  by Engineer Spike

I would spend the time learning a trade. One downside of the railroad is the fluctuations in traffic. You may regularly get cut at certain times of year. The big recession area years ago saw guys with 10+ years cut off.

Learn a trade like plumbing or HVAC. There is always a dripping faucet, or broken furnace. If you are off, you can do this. Side jobs are a plus, especially if you start a family some time.