• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by thebigham

I read in the USA Today that the paper mil in Gorham will close if it cannot find a buyer.

Does the StL&A serve this?
  by Mikejf

thebigham wrote:I read in the USA Today that the paper mil in Gorham will close if it cannot find a buyer.

Does the StL&A serve this?
Yes. Things aren't looking good for the SLR. Hopefully they can hang on.

Mike
  by BR4

It has been rumored that the SLR is up for sale; and if a buyer isn't found by Dec 31, 2010, GW will
file for abandonment. Can anyone confirm this?
  by bwparker1

More trackage for the state of Maine to buy!
  by Mikejf

I have heard the same rumor. Still not confirmed by someone close to the organization. Maintenance is still going on on the rails so they haven't made those cuts yet. Usually upkeep and routine maintenance are the first to go.
Mike
  by BR4

I have noticed that work on the new interchange at Danville has mostly stopped.
Wonder if the SLR downturn has affected the decision on that?
  by Mikejf

Well everytime I think they quit doing something, more gets done. I go by once a month or so just to look and can always find something that has been done. I think it will still get done, just may not be a priority it once was.
Mike
  by trainiac

It has been rumored that the SLR is up for sale; and if a buyer isn't found by Dec 31, 2010, GW will
file for abandonment. Can anyone confirm this?
I don't know anything official. What I do know is that a loaded train of welded rail headed South over recently re-railed and re-signaled crossings in Sherbrooke, QC a few days ago, and that the last SLR road freight I saw had 83 cars. To me, the notion of sale or abandonment doesn't sound right when maintenance and upgrades are ongoing.
  by dnelson

BR4 wrote:I have noticed that work on the new interchange at Danville has mostly stopped.
Wonder if the SLR downturn has affected the decision on that?
When did you notice this? I saw people working on the reconfiguration of the junction last weekend.
  by markhb

railfan60 wrote:Here's 393 just north of Coaticook Qc

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=340276
That's an absolutely beautiful photo... well done!

So far as the railroad itself goes, if they do abandon maybe it could be reused as part of a Boston-Portland-Auburn-Montreal HSR route ;)
  by CN9634

I've heard similar things and I've heard complete opposite things. As with anything railroad, one must simply wait and see what happens. In the mean time, the RR is upgrading its infrastructure in VT & NH. Also the SLR made money off selling from Yarmouth to Danville Jct this past year. I wont comment either way but the railroad is investing time and money into itself and also has made some decent money in the past year.
  by bwparker1

markhb wrote:
railfan60 wrote:Here's 393 just north of Coaticook Qc

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=340276
That's an absolutely beautiful photo... well done!

So far as the railroad itself goes, if they do abandon maybe it could be reused as part of a Boston-Portland-Auburn-Montreal HSR route ;)
I concur!
  by Steam3713

Nothing on the RailAmerica website about the StL&A being up for sale.

Frederick G. Bailey