Railroad Forums 

• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #830463  by trainmancs

heads up at danville jct, there is a 7 engine only consist headed up your way (no freight), i got stopped by it at tuttle road in cumberland at 5:55 am. no panam or guilford engines just 5 HLCX engines and 2 TRONA railway as a lead and rear, the engine colors are really an eye catcher (sorry no photos were taken)
 #830730  by Mikejf

The crossing on Tuttle Road in Cumberland is Pan Am. SLR goes under the bridge that carries Tuttle road over I-295 & Rte 1.
 #831022  by atsf sp

trainmancs wrote:heads up at danville jct, there is a 7 engine only consist headed up your way (no freight), i got stopped by it at tuttle road in cumberland at 5:55 am. no panam or guilford engines just 5 HLCX engines and 2 TRONA railway as a lead and rear, the engine colors are really an eye catcher (sorry no photos were taken)
Those are PAR's new SD40-2s
 #831313  by MEC407

trainmancs wrote:i could not find a PANAM forum that i could put the info on, sorry
The Pan Am forum is here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=55
 #831535  by Mikejf

No problem, trainmancs. I was just clarifying what rail road it was. There are some pictures of those in the Pan Am forum, under new power. Look kind of nice now. Too bad they are gatting a Blue Drip paint job.

Mike
 #840622  by trainmancs

i saw a 2 engine and 1 car freight train going through yarmouth headed north on tuesday at about 1:45 pm at the portland street crossing. it was weird because even though the crossing signals were on the train did not whistle nor was its bell on but it did stop at the crossing to let vehicles pass. the consist was 2 back to back LLPX engines and 1 ADM hopper car. i tried chasing the train through yarmouth but couldnt catch up to it before it got to east elm st.
 #840662  by CN9634

They have to flag every crossing from Danville to Portland. I think it has something to do with the MDOT or something not sure. I've done this chase before and the only way you can get them is if they stop at each crossing. In between crossings they tend to pick up the pace. It's funny, even though they stop to flag each crossing, they make it to Portland faster than Pan Am.
 #841173  by dnelson

CN9634 wrote:They have to flag every crossing from Danville to Portland. I think it has something to do with the MDOT or something not sure. I've done this chase before and the only way you can get them is if they stop at each crossing. In between crossings they tend to pick up the pace. It's funny, even though they stop to flag each crossing, they make it to Portland faster than Pan Am.
Occasionally in the past Guilford would be required to flag signaled crossings on the Brunswick Branch when infrequent use of the tracks has led to rusty rails and the crossing circuits not working. Perhaps that's the reason SLR is flagging between Danville and Portland?
 #856167  by trainmancs

a friend of mine who lives next to the SLR tracks in yarmouth said he saw 2 hoppers and 2 engines coming back from B&M in portland at around 2:30pm on 9/26 which proves to me that the line is still barely active, i have also noticed that on some parts of the SLR line in yarmouth the grass and weeds are almost swallowing the tracks
 #856434  by Mikejf

I'm sure we paid dearly for that track. I saw the figure someplace but I forget what it was. SLR will retain trackage rights no doubt, but the State will tell them how many ties to replace now. More than likely, SLR got a great deal. Good for them.
 #856438  by Mikejf

Found it. $2 Mil for that stretch of track. Like I said, SLR made out ok. Considering I think they paid $18 Mil for the whole line, if memory serves.

Mike
 #857725  by trainmancs

i had somewhat of a clue that the state owned the line from danville south cause when i do see trains on that line it is always LLPX engines but never any SLR engines and the hoppers differ from ADM hopper(s) to canadien province hopper(s)
 #857836  by MEC407

The trains are still operated by SLR. SLR leases most of their locomotives from LLPX, even the ones that are in SLR paint.