• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

The ACS-64 won't be build in Germany but in California.
So were would they be delayed ?? the German factory is overwelmed with orders.
just saying!
  by catch

So..they havn't their schedules under control at home..they will do it better with including localisation and transfering processes and know how??? *lol

ok, we will see..and hope the contract has euqal phrases as that for Belgium :-))
  by DutchRailnut

the Belgium Eurosprinter locomotives have a big disadvantage over the ACS-64 they have to run on 1500 volt DC and 3000 volt DC and on several AC power sources which not only have different voltages plus different frequencies.
add to that that they have to carry 4 kind of cabsignal systems.

the ACS-64 only has to run on 25 Kv and 12.5 Kv and two frequencies 25 Hz and 60 Hz.
The German factory has build over 600 Euro sprinters, a few Amtrak choo choo's won't be a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroSprinter
  by catch

..if they would be build there...but they will be build in a total new plant for Siemens Mobility locomotives.
Anyway..let's see on Xmas what Santa might bring...locos or money for AMTRAK ;-)
  by Tadman

That press release makes my head hurt it's so wrong. Do they screw up press releases for topics other than railroads? I've never seen automotive press releases so poorly written, but it seems railroad press releases are pretty bad.
  by Paulus Magnus

Tadman wrote:That press release makes my head hurt it's so wrong. Do they screw up press releases for topics other than railroads? I've never seen automotive press releases so poorly written, but it seems railroad press releases are pretty bad.
Any news story on military related issues is usually pretty terrible outside of specialized agencies like AvWeek.
  by ApproachMedium

Tadman wrote:That press release makes my head hurt it's so wrong. Do they screw up press releases for topics other than railroads? I've never seen automotive press releases so poorly written, but it seems railroad press releases are pretty bad.

People often know a bit more about cars when they write about them. There are auto-journalists. Not very many rail journalists writing for the general public.
  by realtype

Fan Railer wrote:May be old news, but there was apparently an article about the locomotive in Railvolution's January 2012 Issue.
http://www.railvolution.net/railvolution/issue.php?i=60
Does anyone here happen to have that and would be willing to provide the information that is written in that article? (Specifications and whatnot)
Don't have the Railvolution article, but here are some others that I'm sure provide just as much or more info:

Railway Gazette article
Railway Age article
Wikipedia article
  by Fan Railer

realtype wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:May be old news, but there was apparently an article about the locomotive in Railvolution's January 2012 Issue.
http://www.railvolution.net/railvolution/issue.php?i=60
Does anyone here happen to have that and would be willing to provide the information that is written in that article? (Specifications and whatnot)
Don't have the Railvolution article, but here are some others that I'm sure provide just as much or more info:

Railway Gazette article
Railway Age article
Wikipedia article
That's good stuff dude. I was only asking since Wikipedia does not yet have detailed information to the extent that Railvolution provides in its articles; for example, the ALP-45DP article: http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot32 ... former.pdf

But the link you provided for the railway gazette article seems pretty detailed as well, so thank you =)
  by CP-4070

To introduce myself to the topic, I am a mechanical engineer working on the ACS64 at Siemens. Sadly I am not allowed to tell you any more details than they write in the news but take it, it will look a bit different to the pictures you know. Locos will be built in California and the first few over here.
The loco will have two caps.
catch wrote:Hello folks,

It's amusing to read all the discussions on arts and colors...so the motor shall come first..then to look...and if you look at the belgium contract from SIE...we have to wait a long time ....Ordered in dec 2006...and still THIS (2011) spring, none of them where homologated.... SIE must pay ~30Mio$ penalty.... (and Belgium is in the direct neigbourhood of SIE plants...not over the ocean and on a unknow environment)

So, lets wait for some funny and long stories..and may design studies meanwhile.

Nice day :-)
Believe me, that was not our fault at all.
  by realtype

I hope that it's a good "different" since I really like the design and paint scheme in the renderings. Nice to have someone on the boards working on the new loco! :-)
  by CP-4070

realtype wrote:I hope that it's a good "different" since I really like the design and paint scheme in the renderings. Nice to have someone on the boards working on the new loco! :-)
The thing is that it becomes hard when you wish to talk about things but are not allowed to do :-(
  by ApproachMedium

When you say the loco will have two caps, what do you mean?