• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by afiggatt

The grant of the $562.9 million dollar RRIF loan was the topic of US DOT and Amtrak press releases yesterday. The key point is that the funding for the ACS-64 is now covered.

US Dot press release: http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2011/fra1411.html with quotes from Secretary LaHood, what this means for jobs in manufacturing facilities in 3 states.

Amtrak press release which is more informative on the details: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServe ... nt_on_.pdf

Selective quotes from the Amtrak press release:
“As a result of the RRIF loan announced today by the Federal Railroad Administration, Amtrak’s purchase of 70 new, energy efficient and higher performing electric locomotives is fully funded. These locomotives will operate on the Northeast and Keystone Corridors beginning in 2013, replacing units in service between 20 and 30 years with average mileage of 3.5 million miles traveled."

"The Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF) loan from the Federal Railroad Administration totals $562.9 million and includes $465.9 million for the 70 electric locomotives and $97 million for maintenance facility upgrades and spare parts."

"Amtrak projects that improved ticket revenue from more reliable locomotives can fund the debt service payments to repay this loan."

The press releases don't say what the interest rate or the payback period is, but the RRIF loan rates are tied to the current Federal Treasury note rates which have been pretty low the past several years.
  by Jeff Smith

Thanks for finding that! Also found a blurb here today: http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... p?id=27123
Yesterday, the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) announced it has approved a $562.9 million Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF) loan for Amtrak, which will use the proceeds to purchase 70 electric locomotives for the Northeast Corridor.

The loan is the largest to be issued through the RRIF program to date, according to the USDOT.

In October 2010, Amtrak contracted Siemens to build the locomotives under a $466 million contract. The Amtrak City Sprinter ACS-64 locomotives will operate on the Northeast Corridor at speeds up to 125 mph, and on the Keystone Corridor at speeds up to 110 mph. The locomotives will replace units that are 20 to 30 years old.
Naturally, this topic linked on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RailroadNet

"Like" us (well, except for SOME of you, LOL) and receive topic updates via social media!
  by Fan Railer

No updates for a while, so I thought I'd post this:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServe ... 081511.pdf

Paint scheme has been finalized along with 40% of the specifications, which are due to be finalized before the end of the year.
So what are your comments on the final paint scheme? Personally, I kind of like that added stripe of red along the mid-line.
  by electricron

I would like some added color, I'm tired of a majority color being gray or silver or whatever Amtrak wishes to call it. How about a red, while, and blue color scheme? UTA's trains look so much cleaner and brighter than Amtrak's. Or ask 1st grade students to develope a new Amtrak livery via a national contest. I bet 6 year olds can do better than Amtrak's designers.
  by ApproachMedium

I hate that loco design it looks too much like a new Kia or something.
  by Matt Johnson

Fan Railer wrote: Paint scheme has been finalized along with 40% of the specifications, which are due to be finalized before the end of the year.
So what are your comments on the final paint scheme? Personally, I kind of like that added stripe of red along the mid-line.
I like it!
  by MattW

It looks like it has an angry frown to me. I'm not sure yet if that represents power and determination, or angriness.
  by lensovet

electricron wrote:I would like some added color, I'm tired of a majority color being gray or silver or whatever Amtrak wishes to call it. How about a red, while, and blue color scheme? UTA's trains look so much cleaner and brighter than Amtrak's. Or ask 1st grade students to develope a new Amtrak livery via a national contest. I bet 6 year olds can do better than Amtrak's designers.
wow, so much hate.

what are we talking about again?
  by Jersey_Mike

People only realize the value of GM owned EMD's subtle yet effective styling department when you see the alternative. I can't say why they look better, but its all in the subtle details like headlight placement, window shape, etc. When you have an automobile company as you owner you get access to a certain pool of design talent. When the owner is a German transformer company the design is going to be much more...efficient.
  by electricron

lensovet wrote:wow, so much hate.
Livery. Appearance. How Amtrak paints it's locomotives.

The US Navy paints ships gray to make them less visible in sea haze. Deception is a plus on a battlefield.
Amtrak paints their locomotives gray because they have lousy designers. There is no other explanation. Even Henry Ford's all black would be a welcome change.
  by morris&essex4ever

Fan Railer wrote:Paint scheme has been finalized along with 40% of the specifications, which are due to be finalized before the end of the year.
Looks great!!

electricron wrote:
lensovet wrote:wow, so much hate.
Livery. Appearance. How Amtrak paints it's locomotives.

The US Navy paints ships gray to make them less visible in sea haze. Deception is a plus on a battlefield.
Amtrak paints their locomotives gray because they have lousy designers. There is no other explanation. Even Henry Ford's all black would be a welcome change.
All black would be the worst.
  by afiggatt

electricron wrote:Livery. Appearance. How Amtrak paints it's locomotives.

Getting rid of waste heat is a major design concern for locomotives, especially electric locos I would think. Painting the ACS-64 black is not going to help with heat on a hot summer day. The engineer might not appreciate it if the A/C in the cab can't keep up on a blazing hot day because of black paint on the outside.

The picture in the Amtrak Ink issue is consistent with the general paint scheme used by other Amtrak locos. A low key reflective dull silver/grey and blue color mix along with a red stripe. I guess Amtrak could go with a bright and bold garish color paint job, but it likely won't do anything for sales or brand recognition and could get negative press. So why bother? The low key professional look will work better on the NEC.
  by DutchRailnut

David Benton wrote:quite interesting they have no hi vis colors on the front / ends . except the little red stripe maybe .
So what would be purpose of high visibility on NEC ????
So a trespassed can see what's about to send him to the here after?????
The few low speed dings with four quadrant gates????