Railroad Forums 

• Spotting - Soo Line/Guilford/Pan Am on NY&A

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #670295  by ItaliDe

Hi,
If anyone spots any Soo Line (white box with red doors, Black lettering), Guilford ( White or Charcoal with big G)or Pan Am ( Blue and Charcoal) on Long Island anywhere for photos please let me know. Over the years the NY&A have delivered them somewhere as I use to see them go thru Mineola a while back. I have not recently but a friend wants to photograph any of these box cars on the island. SO if anyone spots any of the 3 please send out a notification here and location of where they can be photographed. Thank you!
 #670493  by freightguy

The Soo boxcars always made their way down the bushwick to D Rosen bakers alot. Sometimes one would wonder towards Inter-county in Farmingdale with same material. Better chance of seeing Pan Am cars heading towards Combine Container in Wyandanch or Elm logistics in Brentwood near Pineaire. Things are slower now so this could have changed. I remember when those Pan am cars came in brand new and left LI graffetied.
 #670541  by SOO4601

Pretty terrible picture from a few months ago, it wasn't good to start, but no idea what happened to the quality or why I only have a small size. You can see a SOO boxcar right behind the E15s.

#670939  by ItaliDe

Dietrich172 wrote:Pretty terrible picture from a few months ago, it wasn't good to start, but no idea what happened to the quality or why I only have a small size. You can see a SOO boxcar right behind the E15s.

Not bad, where was this taken?

Graffiti on box cars has magnafied by 1000 in the last couple of years.. I have to say, Some of it is awesome.. I dont care for a bunch of scrible lines ..but some of these kids have talent... Like this>

#672212  by ItaliDe

b/p rupture wrote:
ItaliDe wrote: but some of these kids have talent...
Illegal vandalism, hideous, (and off topic).
Really? hmmm, I guess, but I have heard many rail road employees say " Hey that one looks cool" lets leave it. I don't like graffiti tags..ya know, someones name written in some unknown language...but the box cars that have an actual paintings and scenes on the side of them does look pretty cool... And 98% of the time these artists do not paint over the box cars recording marks out of respect to the railroad, in turn the railroad usually leaves the freight car as is and does not paint over it..... Look at this one!! This one was even APPROVED by UP!

And this one appeared in Trains Magazine a while back as a work of art!

So it's only illigal Vandalism when the railroad doesn't like it :-D
 #678073  by MNR's #1 Conductor

ItaliDe wrote:Hi,
If anyone spots any Soo Line (white box with red doors, Black lettering), Guilford ( White or Charcoal with big G)or Pan Am ( Blue and Charcoal) on Long Island anywhere for photos please let me know. Over the years the NY&A have delivered them somewhere as I use to see them go thru Mineola a while back. I have not recently but a friend wants to photograph any of these box cars on the island. SO if anyone spots any of the 3 please send out a notification here and location of where they can be photographed. Thank you!
I have seen PAN AM boxcars on the Y-101/102, and as a service, if I see it, I shall make the catch!! :-)
 #678075  by MNR's #1 Conductor

When I used to work for NYCT over on the "Mary" (M Line), there was always one covered hopper who used to stand out all the time and was always seen in the west yard at Fresh Pond, and this car had a FULL AS CAN BE, roofline to bottom, tag in bright neon yellow, neon green, neon orange with black tracing and lining, with the tag "DARKS", and you can't help but notice it!! Someone has a lot of time on his or her hands to do such a broad, standout full burn like that. This car has been sighted down the Bay Ridge over by Favorite Plastics not far from Linden Blvd.
 #678391  by ItaliDe

Hey thanks! If you see any SOO LINE , GUILFORD or Pan AM box cars on the NY&A please take photos of them and let me know... Also, any cars with full billboard graffiti is also welcome.. I am an artist myself, never had the time to do a box car, but some of the work that a "square" person would call Graffiti, artist call art work. Also, I know for a fact that Railroads do not care as long as one does not paint over recording marks and actually paints something nice they will leave it... It saves time on rust prevention and some of it looks cool..as per a once heard Yard Master on Conrail. An old friend of mine.

Its when no talent punks spray paint tags and meaningless words that make no sense... That's when it ruins it for the artistic ones who actually have talent. Graffitti tags suck... But a nice colorful painitng is a different story..

On my HO scale layout I have quiet a few HO box cars with graffiti on them.. They look rather neat.. After all! What is it about railroading that grabs our interest?? Isn't it PAINT SCHEMES? Well a goood painted piece of art-work on the side of a box car is no different.... It grabs our interest to look for it again or model it. right?

Thats why I am after photos of SOO LINE or PAN AM box cars... I have been watching freight trains since 1974 and PAR and SOO box cars seem to stand out more than any other box car on the rails.....
 #678535  by DogBert

Very few freight cars (at least lately) seem to have top to bottom graffiti paint jobs on LI/NYC. There were at least one or two btfx trash cars like that (one was a SaneSmith) but I haven't seen those around in quite awhile.
 #679207  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DogBert wrote:Very few freight cars (at least lately) seem to have top to bottom graffiti paint jobs on LI/NYC. There were at least one or two btfx trash cars like that (one was a SaneSmith) but I haven't seen those around in quite awhile.
A good number of the BFTX (Bill Frank Rail Service) open top boxcars have been extensively hit up with top to bottom full bombs!! Y-101/102 always puts on a display of these "artists" aka vandal scum!! The blue Columbia & Cowlitz open tops get the bomb treatments too. But that "DARKS" covered hopper stands out!!!