Railroad Forums 

• Spots on the B&O "Old Main Line"

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#227791  by NHRR WTBY

What are your favorite spots on the B&O Old Main Line? I'm heading out with Steve's B&O Old Main Line tour today and I only have a few hours. What do you think? Point of Rocks or St Denis/Relay/Thomas Viaduct?

#227800  by Hudson Terminus

There aren't a whole lot of trains on the OML during the day, but the tour is excellent if you have most of a day to burn up (probably in a few weeks when its warm enough to spend the day outside without worrying about buggers).

My suggestion would be to camp out at the Thomas Viaduct if you only have a few hours. You're sure to see some trains there, and the photo angles won't be bad later in the afternoon from the northern end (with the obelisk).

#227801  by Hudson Terminus

Then again,

Point of Rocks is a great afternoon location, and you're sure to see traffic there as well. Just depends on which subdivision's traffic you want to see. Both are very scenic and rewarding locations to visit.

#229290  by NHRR WTBY

Hudson Terminus wrote:There aren't a whole lot of trains on the OML during the day, but the tour is excellent if you have most of a day to burn up (probably in a few weeks when its warm enough to spend the day outside without worrying about buggers).

My suggestion would be to camp out at the Thomas Viaduct if you only have a few hours. You're sure to see some trains there, and the photo angles won't be bad later in the afternoon from the northern end (with the obelisk).
I spent a couple of hours at the obelisk and didn't see one stinkin' train. Apparently they were doing some track work between Jessup and Dorsey and traffic was pretty sparse. Oh well...another day.

One question: I had my scanner tuned to the dispatcher frequency and periodically heard an electronic buzzing tone. Is this some kind of alert signal to wake up the dispatcher?