Railroad Forums 

• speeders on Central Mass Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#159514  by TomNelligan

Legalities aside, you'd have to cut down some pretty big trees at this point. The line is so overgrown that it's hard to even walk it.

#159761  by NRGeep

Seems the straight section in Weston and Wayland which stretches for several miles is pretty clear though you wouldn't want to bomb through there at 60 mph like the old moguls did. In no way am I advocating illegally running speeders down there.

#159867  by Engineer999

A friend of mine and I walked in from the Hudson end of the Sudbury Annex to check it out for that purpose about 2 years ago. There is almost 4 miles of straight track in there. About 1.5 miles in, one rail was missing for 15-20 feet. I don't know how it was taken out since there are no roads nearby, but it was gone. We were also stopped by someone official (ranger?) who wanted to make sure that we were not planning to ride any dirt bikes or 4-wheelers in there.

A quiet motor car might be able to get away with it for a while, but you would have to do allot of brush cutting, and haul in pieces of rail from the ends to patch any holes. This track is owned by the MBTA. They might not be very friendly to you if you are caught.

Engineer999