Railroad Forums 

• Southern Secondary Customers

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#170782  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Hi all,

I have been following the Southern Secondary thread for a while now, and was wondering if anyone ever produced a Southern Secondary Customers list?

A few months back, lists were generated for some of the other lines by Wolfboy, but I can't seem to dig one up for SS.

I am primarily interested in the ends of the line.

Thanks!

#170923  by Azervas

Youve got:
84 lumber
The brick place down from 84 lumber (cant remember the name)
Golds lumber
Dinaso lumber
Woodhaven lumber

Earl NWS, Not sure if that counts.

Thats all I can think of, other will fill in the blanks.

#171381  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Thanks for the update.

What towns are these customers in:

84 lumber
The brick place down from 84 lumber (cant remember the name)
Golds lumber
Dinaso lumber - Lakehurst?
Woodhaven lumber

What about Naval Weapons Station Earl, north of Farmingdale? How often do they get freight? what do they get?

Is the Lakehurst Naval Air Station still connected, just north of Lakehurst?

#171460  by wolfboy8171981

MP 48.0 84 Lumber- Farmingdale
MP 48.0 NWS Earle Farmingdale
MP 48.6 Extech Brick Farmindgale
(MP 50.4) MP 25 on Freehold Secondary- Gold Lumber Farmingdale
MP 58. 4 Lakewood Team track ( Dinaso Lumber, Gilcrest Pillings)
MP 59.3 Woodhaven Lumber - Lakewood
MP 59.4 US Components - Lakewood
MP 66 NES Lakehurst

#171802  by CTL10D

I guess Columbia Propane on the Toms River Industrial Track is practically not even considered a customer because of its sporadic and rare shipments huh. Quick question Wolf, does "team track" simply mean 2 customers share the track, or is it a railroad term meaning something else, like "passing siding". Just curious. Take care -Chris

#172279  by Ken W2KB

CTL10D wrote:I guess Columbia Propane on the Toms River Industrial Track is practically not even considered a customer because of its sporadic and rare shipments huh. Quick question Wolf, does "team track" simply mean 2 customers share the track, or is it a railroad term meaning something else, like "passing siding". Just curious. Take care -Chris
Team track gnerally meant a facility where a freight wagon pulled by a team of horses (hence "team track") would be able to transfer freight from a railcar to the wagon for delivery to a place without rail access. It was generally owned by the RR and open to any receiveing customer.

#172359  by Tom_E_Reynolds

so what about the Toms River Branch? Is it abandoned?

#172454  by njt4172

Tom_E_Reynolds wrote:so what about the Toms River Branch? Is it abandoned?
No, it is not technically abandonded just in horrible condition....I believe that propane customer is very sporadic during the middle of the winter.....

Steve

#172570  by CTL10D

Hiya guys-

Actually, bleeive it or not, alot of sections of the TRIT are in suprisingly great condition. My friend and I recently walked from Lakehurst all the way down to Colonial Drive, and we were suprised at the good condition of the track. It even seems that many ties were replaced recently. Farther down the line, at Banier Drive, the grade crossing boasts almost Brand spankin new crossing signals, and the track doesnt look too bad down there either. Just one thing doesnt make sense to me, is that why spend $$$ on state of the art x-ing signals and trackwork on a line that sees use maybe twice a year at the most? Just dont know Take care -Chris p.s.- anyone ever see the crossing signals that protect Route 37 on the TRIT? tell me that aint one helluva set of signals. lol :wink: